IPB

Welcome to Insulin Pump Forums!

You are currently viewing this forum as a Guest, which gives you limited access to many areas of the message board. By joining our free community you will become a part of a wonderful world filled with information and support for all pumpers, from people considering or just starting the pump to veterans who've been using them for years! And when you become a member, you can access all of the fantastic features available on this board, like: replying to posts and contributing your opinion in polls; uploading and viewing pictures and files; communicating with others via Private Messaging (PM); accessing the exclusive forums available only to members; contests and lots more!

Best of all, membership is free and joining takes only a few minutes! And as an added bonus, this introduction message will go away when you view the forums as a member! So c'mon, stop lurking and become a member of the friendliest pump support forum on the web!

Join the Insulin Pump Forums Today!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The monthly "visitor"!
upurkilt
post Jun 4 2008, 01:39 AM
Post #1

IPF Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,099
My Pump: Minimed 722

OK, I searched but I have not found any threads on this topic yet. Maybe cause I am not great at this yet, so I apologise in advance if I missed it!

What am I supposed to expect when I get my period every month? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/blubbering.gif)

Pretty broad question right? Ok, let me break it down....

When do you start to notice a change in your BG? (I noticed for the past two weeks before)
What do you do with your basal rates? Do you set a Temp basal for the time being? If so, what percent would you start at?

This is my second month on the pump. I have had one peroid already and I had to do NOTHING...but, drumroll please..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wacko.gif) This month is like a rollercoaster ride.....I have completely unexplained highs. I have tried everything that I know how to to figure out why. The only conclusion that I have come up with is that I am at the "hormonal" stage of the month. So, If there is anyone out there that could shed some light on the situation I would greatly appreciate it. I have an appt. with my Endo tomorrow, however I would love to hear what the ladies have to say!

--------------------
Pumping Since April 2008 & LOVING IT!!!!!!!!
MM 722
Diabetic Since 1994
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ali
post Jun 4 2008, 08:57 AM
Post #2

IPF Regular

Member No.: 311
My Pump: Paradigm 722 RT

Oh, I'm with you on this! I'd love to see a study that shows whether overall men have better A1c results than women because I find the monthly rollercoaster one of the hardest parts of getting good control. The CMG really helped me figure out what was going on for me and being able to adjust my basal rates is a dream - when I was on MDI I'd try to adjust my Lantus but the reaction time is just too slow.

I start to notice a change about a week and a half before and increase my basal rates pretty much daily until the big day when I reduce it very quickly as my insulin requirements drop off very suddenly. I don't use percentages to increase, I've always just gone by numbers but if it helps I go from around 1.3 an hour to 2.0 an hour over a week and a half. Then I drop it back down to about 1.5 when my period arrives and then back down to 1.3 over the next few days. (those figures are for my morning rates but I increase all my rates pretty much the same).

As ever, its not really an exact science, some months I can get up to 2.5 on my morning basal, there doesn't seem to be a pattern as to how high it'll go, just a nice random rollercoaster ride! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/Confused.gif)

Hope that helps

Ali

--------------------
Diagnosed T1 aged 4 in 1983.
Paradigm pump & CGMS since Feb 07
Blogging about diabetes @ www.shootuporputup.co.uk

+Quote Post
Linda B
post Jun 4 2008, 12:40 PM
Post #3

IPF Addict

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 30
My Pump: MM 530g with CGMS

It is known that menstruation affects blood sugars. For most women, your insulin needs will increase about a week before your period starts, and then drop back to 'normal' as soon as it starts.

In my opinion, the best way to deal with this is to set up a different basal profile for the time when you need to increase your basal rates. That way you simply switch to basal program A or B (on MM pumps) and then switch back to normal when your period starts.
Keep in mind that it might not be just basals that need increasing. You might also need to add a little to each bolus.

Here's an article:
http://www.insulin-pumpers.org/howto/menses3.html

Linda B.

--------------------
Linda
Forum Moderator
Pumping with Minimed since 1995
Paradigm 530g w/ CGMS

+Quote Post
Ali
post Jun 4 2008, 02:22 PM
Post #4

IPF Regular

Member No.: 311
My Pump: Paradigm 722 RT

QUOTE(Linda B @ Jun 4 2008, 01:40 PM) *
In my opinion, the best way to deal with this is to set up a different basal profile for the time when you need to increase your basal rates. That way you simply switch to basal program A or B (on MM pumps) and then switch back to normal when your period starts.

I've never been able to get it to work with a different basal profile because I find the increase is gradual so I'd actually need about 9 different profiles, one for each day from about a week and a half out. That's why I tend to just turn it up a notch day by day.

Agree with you re the need to add a bit to most bolus's - I often think I should work out if I need completely different carb ratios for that week but I never quite get round to doing it and the totally unscientifc, finger in the air, "it feels about right to add a bit on to this bolus" approach seems to be working at the moment!

--------------------
Diagnosed T1 aged 4 in 1983.
Paradigm pump & CGMS since Feb 07
Blogging about diabetes @ www.shootuporputup.co.uk

+Quote Post
lilmissweetasuga...
post Jun 24 2008, 05:21 PM
Post #5

IPF Rookie

Member No.: 1,203
My Pump: medtronic minimed722

Hi! I am new to the pump about three weeks and just had my first monthly visitor while on it and god did it freak me out. I have been so use to the tight control with my numbers to see it jump into the 300's was just something scary to me and I guess I am looking for suggestions do you guys set temp basals or give extra correction boluses?

+Quote Post
Tiffany
post Jun 24 2008, 05:33 PM
Post #6

Borg Queen

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 1
My Pump: Paradigm 522 RT

I have a basal profile for my menstrual cycle. Honestly, it isn't perfect and likely never will be - but I supplement it with temp basals (and a LOT of manual BG checks) and it's made the hormone rollercoaster a lot easier to deal with than the hell of MDI's lol.

For me, I tend to get pretty insensitive to insulin for about two days prior to the start of my period (I use temp basals and manually increase bolus/ISF ratios during this time) then as soon as it starts, I need almost half of my regular daily TDD of insulin (if I have a low, I'm almost guaranteed to have it during my period). That's when the alternative basal pattern comes into play, since I need it for several days.

YMMV, of course (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

--------------------
Tiffany
Insulin Pump Forums Administrator

Type 1 - 23 years
Paradigm 522 REAL-Time since June 2, 2006 - 1st commercial user of the Paradigm RT CGMS system in North America (confirmed by Medtronic - just call me madame guinea pig!)
Pumping since 2003
Can be found (very occasionally) blogging at Candid Diabetes

+Quote Post
Beth
post Jul 11 2008, 05:14 PM
Post #7

IPF Rookie

Member No.: 505
My Pump: Animas 2020

First off thank god there is info here about "periods" and basal rates....sheesh okay I have had my Animas 2020 for almost a year now and am trying to get a handle on temp basals right before my period, etc. so thanks so much for the useful infomation (IMG:style_emoticons/default/Celebrate 2.gif)

+Quote Post
Linda B
post Jul 11 2008, 06:59 PM
Post #8

IPF Addict

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 30
My Pump: MM 530g with CGMS

I answered this a few months ago - just look up the thread to post #3!
Linda B.

--------------------
Linda
Forum Moderator
Pumping with Minimed since 1995
Paradigm 530g w/ CGMS

+Quote Post
Aini
post Aug 3 2010, 09:06 PM
Post #9

IPF Rookie

Group: Banned
Member No.: 3,077
My Pump: MiniMed Paradigm

QUOTE(Tiffany @ Jun 24 2008, 10:33 AM) *
I have a basal profile for my menstrual cycle. Honestly, it isn't perfect and likely never will be - but I supplement it with temp basals (and a LOT of manual BG checks) and it's made the hormone rollercoaster a lot easier to deal with than the hell of MDI's lol.

For me, I tend to get pretty insensitive to insulin for about two days prior to the start of my period (I use temp basals and manually increase bolus/ISF ratios during this time) then as soon as it starts, I need almost half of my regular daily TDD of insulin (if I have a low, I'm almost guaranteed to have it during my period). That's when the alternative basal pattern comes into play, since I need it for several days.

YMMV, of course (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Wow, so there is someone else out there whose BGs go low during the menstrual cycle! When I told my endo that, she just said, 'huh, strange' and that was it! I've been on birth control for over a year, but this past Jan. they changed the Rx to Necon, and since then during my period my BGs hang out in the 60s! I've been fiddling with a pattern to fit it, but haven't had success yet. I was actually starting to wonder if the problem was being on the birth control to begin with, that maybe it made my BGs go higher, but when I looked up the side effects for going off it, I decided that would be worse than the higher insulin rates.

+Quote Post
mollygolly
post Aug 4 2010, 01:38 AM
Post #10

IPF Rookie

Member No.: 2,677
My Pump: Minimed 522

My DD is only 5 but still find this thread very interesting! Curious if any of you purposely went on birth control as teenagers to regulate your cycle into a better pattern? Scares the poop out of me to not really know when those highs are coming!

+Quote Post
Tiffany
post Aug 7 2010, 08:08 PM
Post #11

Borg Queen

Group: Administrator

Member No.: 1
My Pump: Paradigm 522 RT

QUOTE(mollygolly @ Aug 3 2010, 07:38 PM) *
My DD is only 5 but still find this thread very interesting! Curious if any of you purposely went on birth control as teenagers to regulate your cycle into a better pattern? Scares the poop out of me to not really know when those highs are coming!

I've been on BC since I was 12 for that very reason - I have pretty severe endometriosis so my menstrual cycles are all out of wack and extremely painful. Every once in a while I take a break from the pill but I always end up going back on. I took another break about 5 months ago - wanted to try some vitamins and herbal supplements. I had a perfectly normal period (though extremely heavy) 21 days after stopping the pill and then I didn't have one again for 3 months. When I finally did it made me extremely sick and Wowza were my BG's all over the place. I chased highs, and had some pretty quick (and scary) hypo episodes. Needless to say I'm going back on the pill this Sunday.

Diabetes is bad enough but I really think it's tougher for women!!

--------------------
Tiffany
Insulin Pump Forums Administrator

Type 1 - 23 years
Paradigm 522 REAL-Time since June 2, 2006 - 1st commercial user of the Paradigm RT CGMS system in North America (confirmed by Medtronic - just call me madame guinea pig!)
Pumping since 2003
Can be found (very occasionally) blogging at Candid Diabetes

+Quote Post
lizettesummers
post Oct 7 2010, 05:56 PM
Post #12

IPF Rookie

Member No.: 3,215
My Pump: spirit

QUOTE(Tiffany @ Aug 7 2010, 04:08 PM) *
I've been on BC since I was 12 for that very reason - I have pretty severe endometriosis so my menstrual cycles are all out of wack and extremely painful. Every once in a while I take a break from the pill but I always end up going back on. I took another break about 5 months ago - wanted to try some vitamins and herbal supplements. I had a perfectly normal period (though extremely heavy) 21 days after stopping the pill and then I didn't have one again for 3 months. When I finally did it made me extremely sick and Wowza were my BG's all over the place. I chased highs, and had some pretty quick (and scary) hypo episodes. Needless to say I'm going back on the pill this Sunday.

Diabetes is bad enough but I really think it's tougher for women!!

i totally agree that diabeties is so much harder for women. i have had so many ups and downs on the week of its insane! this week has been a nice one just testing more and giving feeding my insulin. not good but im high so much and i need to figure my other profiles out so i can try the different the week of and the week before. thanks for all the great info. Liz

+Quote Post
canuk chic
post Nov 11 2010, 07:02 PM
Post #13

IPF Regular

Member No.: 830
My Pump: medtronic 522

Has anyone noticed if the pill makes your basal needs higher? I started on the pump when I was trying to get pregnant, so not taking any oral contraceptives. Now that have the baby am on birth control and the pump.

I opted for a same level, low dose pill, however, even though
am back to pre-preg weight,
same carb intake, and ratios,
am using an additional 10units per day.

And the week off the pill (or menstruation) my temp basal needs to be lowered and end up at about 10 units less per day. Just wondering...

+Quote Post
meeaow
post Nov 11 2010, 10:14 PM
Post #14

IPF Regular

Member No.: 1,758
My Pump: Animas 2020 PINK! :D

I haven't noticed a difference personally however I do know some people find they need different rates for different times of the month!

+Quote Post
Aini
post Nov 13 2010, 05:47 AM
Post #15

IPF Rookie

Group: Banned
Member No.: 3,077
My Pump: MiniMed Paradigm

QUOTE(canuk chic @ Nov 11 2010, 12:02 PM) *
Has anyone noticed if the pill makes your basal needs higher? I started on the pump when I was trying to get pregnant, so not taking any oral contraceptives. Now that have the baby am on birth control and the pump.

I opted for a same level, low dose pill, however, even though
am back to pre-preg weight,
same carb intake, and ratios,
am using an additional 10units per day.
And the week off the pill (or menstruation) my temp basal needs to be lowered and end up at about 10 units less per day. Just wondering...

When I first started the pill, I had no changes in blood sugar. Then the Rx changed to another brand, and my basals needed to be lowered by 1 whole unit for each rate during the week off the pill. Whether that means the pill makes the BGs higher, or the hormone change makes them go lower, I don't know. My doctor said there was no connection between the pill and higher blood sugars. But I've been getting the feeling lately that that's what they say whenever they don't have an answer.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th July 2014 - 08:16 AM