IPB

Welcome to Insulin Pump Forums!

You are currently viewing this forum as a Guest, which gives you limited access to many areas of the message board. By joining our free community you will become a part of a wonderful world filled with information and support for all pumpers, from people considering or just starting the pump to veterans who've been using them for years! And when you become a member, you can access all of the fantastic features available on this board, like: replying to posts and contributing your opinion in polls; uploading and viewing pictures and files; communicating with others via Private Messaging (PM); accessing the exclusive forums available only to members; contests and lots more!

Best of all, membership is free and joining takes only a few minutes! And as an added bonus, this introduction message will go away when you view the forums as a member! So c'mon, stop lurking and become a member of the friendliest pump support forum on the web!

Join the Insulin Pump Forums Today!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Are the school staff crazy!!!, Cousin went to hospital
Disneygirly
post Jun 8 2009, 04:24 PM
Post #1

IPF Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,247
My Pump: minimed 722

My cousin lives up in Idaho and the school nurse took it apon herself to make modifications to my cousins diet.
My cousin, who is 10 years old, went to the hospital because the school nurse said my cousin did not have enough
carbs in his diet and he ended up in DKA!!! The law in each state is different but they state in Idaho that the school
can do whatever they want once the child steps onto school property. I totally disagree! I cannot believe this
kind of behavior is still going on today. School staff needs to be educated about different dietary and medical
requirements.

-Gina
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Linda B
post Jun 8 2009, 04:42 PM
Post #2

IPF Addict

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 30
My Pump: MM 530g with CGMS

QUOTE(Disneygirly @ Jun 8 2009, 12:24 PM) *
My cousin lives up in Idaho and the school nurse took it apon herself to make modifications to my cousins diet.
My cousin, who is 10 years old, went to the hospital because the school nurse said my cousin did not have enough
carbs in his diet and he ended up in DKA!!! The law in each state is different but they state in Idaho that the school
can do whatever they want once the child steps onto school property. I totally disagree! I cannot believe this
kind of behavior is still going on today. School staff needs to be educated about different dietary and medical
requirements.

-Gina

How awful! What bothers me the most is that a nurse would not realize that he needed more insulin if she was forcing him to have more carbs.

Linda

--------------------
Linda
Forum Moderator
Pumping with Minimed since 1995
Paradigm Revel w/ CGMS

+Quote Post
JohnG
post Jun 8 2009, 05:03 PM
Post #3

IPF Addict

Member No.: 1,726
My Pump: Paradigm 723/CGMS

QUOTE(Disneygirly @ Jun 8 2009, 11:24 AM) *
requirements.

-Gina

Gina
I have never heard of someone suffering from DKA because of to many carbs.
Most of the time it's the lack of insulin that brings this on.

JohnG

--------------------
John
T1-LADA 1988
Paradigm-530G/CGMS

+Quote Post
Linda B
post Jun 8 2009, 05:17 PM
Post #4

IPF Addict

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 30
My Pump: MM 530g with CGMS

QUOTE(JohnG @ Jun 8 2009, 01:03 PM) *
Gina

JohnG

John,
A type 1 needs the right about of insulin to compensate for the amount of carbs. If his carb intake was changed dramatically, and his insulin was not adjusted, he would, in effect, have a lack of ENOUGH insulin. I agree it would have to be a dramatic change, assuming he had some insulin in his body.
But if he is a pumper, then he has no long acting insulin, so having an extreme shortage of insulin delivered for the meal could cause DKA.

Gina,
Do you know if he's a pumper or not? If he's on Lantus, then I agree with John that DKA should not be caused by a single meal.

Linda

--------------------
Linda
Forum Moderator
Pumping with Minimed since 1995
Paradigm Revel w/ CGMS

+Quote Post
JohnG
post Jun 8 2009, 07:46 PM
Post #5

IPF Addict

Member No.: 1,726
My Pump: Paradigm 723/CGMS

QUOTE(Linda B @ Jun 8 2009, 12:17 PM) *
John,
A type 1 needs the right about of insulin to compensate for the amount of carbs. If his carb intake was changed dramatically, and his insulin was not adjusted, he would, in effect, have a lack of ENOUGH insulin. I agree it would have to be a dramatic change, assuming he had some insulin in his body.
But if he is a pumper, then he has no long acting insulin, so having an extreme shortage of insulin delivered for the meal could cause DKA.

Gina,
Do you know if he's a pumper or not? If he's on Lantus, then I agree with John that DKA should not be caused by a single meal.

Linda

I guess it could happen.

JohnG

--------------------
John
T1-LADA 1988
Paradigm-530G/CGMS

+Quote Post
Liz
post Jun 8 2009, 11:08 PM
Post #6

IPF Addict

Member No.: 1,173
My Pump: Minimed Revel

QUOTE(JohnG @ Jun 8 2009, 01:03 PM) *
Gina

JohnG

I agree, especially if you're on injections and have long acting insulin. I know that when I was on 2 injections a day (NPH/Regular) I rarely checked my BG and ate whatever I wanted. Didn't pay attention to carbs or anything. My BGs ran extremely high but I didn't end up in the hospital. A high BG does not necessarily equal DKA.

--------------------
--
Liz
Type 1 4/27/87
Minimed Revel 723 + CGMS

+Quote Post
Payden
post Aug 21 2009, 06:16 PM
Post #7

IPF Rookie

Member No.: 2,285
My Pump: Animas 2020

Hi,
I have had diabetes for almost 6 years now and last year i had a seizure at school on the blacktop right after lunch! (dont know how it happened) I am 11 and i love my animas 2020 my friend Marty likes his to!

+Quote Post
Dave_
post Aug 21 2009, 06:40 PM
Post #8

IPF Addict

Group: Banned
Member No.: 100

QUOTE(Disneygirly @ Jun 8 2009, 09:24 AM) *
requirements.

-Gina

Sounds as if the nurse didn't want to have to deal with a kid who might go low, so she took it upon herself to make sure the kid was high. If I were the parents I'd speak with an attorney to see what rights, if any, are being abridged.

--------------------

Diagnosed T1 in 1978
MDI: 1978 -1996
Started pumping in '96 (MM 506)
MM523 (Blue Revel)
- My wife is a fellow pumper (Pink Revel)
Sets: Sure-T

+Quote Post
Rhea's Rockets
post Apr 13 2012, 01:27 AM
Post #9

Member No.: 4,207
My Pump: MiniMed Paradgim

We have been blessed as our school nurse went to the pump traing and is very active in pump managment and education.
Thanks Lisa!

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2014 - 01:25 PM