IPB

Welcome to Insulin Pump Forums!

You are currently viewing this forum as a Guest, which gives you limited access to many areas of the message board. By joining our free community you will become a part of a wonderful world filled with information and support for all pumpers, from people considering or just starting the pump to veterans who've been using them for years! And when you become a member, you can access all of the fantastic features available on this board, like: replying to posts and contributing your opinion in polls; uploading and viewing pictures and files; communicating with others via Private Messaging (PM); accessing the exclusive forums available only to members; contests and lots more!

Best of all, membership is free and joining takes only a few minutes! And as an added bonus, this introduction message will go away when you view the forums as a member! So c'mon, stop lurking and become a member of the friendliest pump support forum on the web!

Join the Insulin Pump Forums Today!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Change in Carb Ratio
Bill B.
post Dec 10 2009, 07:49 PM
Post #1

IPF Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,472
My Pump: Minimed 512

Hello all. Recently, it seems as if my insulin/carb ratio has radically changed. About a month ago, my morning (breakfast) ratio went from 10g carb/unit to 5g carb/unit. The rest of the day stayed at my 10:1 ratio. However, a couple of days ago, I ended up with a ridiculous high (400+!?!), and after testing myself every hour or two for the last couple of days, it seems like my ratio has moved to 5:1. Has anything like this happened to anyone else? Especially since it seems to have changed all at once.

Also, I was wondering if a severe high like that has had any lingering effects with any of you (as in, continued elevated sugar levels)?

A concern that I have is that I have the 180 unit reservoir on my pump, and if this low ratio sticks, I'll be changing infusion sets often.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GA Hiker
post Dec 10 2009, 08:32 PM
Post #2

IPF Addict

Member No.: 844
My Pump: MM 530G / Enlite

QUOTE(Bill B. @ Dec 10 2009, 02:49 PM) *
A concern that I have is that I have the 180 unit reservoir on my pump, and if this low ratio sticks, I'll be changing infusion sets often.

Just a quick reply -- You can change the reservoir without changing the infusion set. Just hook up the new reservoir to the old tubing.

+Quote Post
Bill B.
post Dec 10 2009, 08:45 PM
Post #3

IPF Rookie

QUOTE(GA Hiker @ Dec 10 2009, 03:32 PM) *
Just a quick reply -- You can change the reservoir without changing the infusion set. Just hook up the new reservoir to the old tubing.

Ah, yes, that works. Thanks.

I am hoping that something has gone awry temporarily, and will come to pass, but thanks for the thought!

+Quote Post
JohnG
post Dec 10 2009, 09:30 PM
Post #4

IPF Addict

Member No.: 1,726
My Pump: Paradigm 723/CGMS

QUOTE(Bill B. @ Dec 10 2009, 02:45 PM) *
I am hoping that something has gone awry temporarily, and will come to pass, but thanks for the thought!

Have you started taking some kind of new medication in the morning?

Has your morning routine change drastically in some way?

Just a thought!

JohnG

--------------------
John
T1-LADA 1988
Paradigm-530G/CGMS

+Quote Post
Bill B.
post Dec 11 2009, 03:27 AM
Post #5

IPF Rookie

QUOTE(JohnG @ Dec 10 2009, 04:30 PM) *
Have you started taking some kind of new medication in the morning?

Has your morning routine change drastically in some way?

Just a thought!

JohnG

John,

Thanks, but no, not at all. I am a creature of habit in most of my daily routines. (I guess that 30+ years of dealing with this has taught me that consistency is good.) But now it seems like my nightly ratio has changed drastically as well, as tonight I am at 35 units for what used to take 10, and I'm still waiting to come down from a high. SOOOO frustrating...

The problem is that it has come on quickly, and my basal rate has not had to change at all (so I don't think it's an insensitivity issue).

+Quote Post
yondi
post Jan 25 2010, 10:52 PM
Post #6

IPF Rookie

Member No.: 1,825

Hi Bill have you gained weight. When i lost weight I found I had to change my I:C ratios a fair bit.

--------------------
Pumping since September 2009~Dx in 2001

+Quote Post
brianwhitskey24
post Aug 22 2011, 11:07 AM
Post #7

IPF Rookie

Member No.: 3,798

hey thanks for the post i got to learn lot of information

+Quote Post
JohnG
post Aug 22 2011, 12:27 PM
Post #8

IPF Addict

Member No.: 1,726
My Pump: Paradigm 723/CGMS

QUOTE(Bill B. @ Dec 10 2009, 02:49 PM) *
Has anything like this happened to anyone else? Especially since it seems to have changed all at once.

Skip your morning meal and see if your BG spikes without food or bolus insulin. (High BG, caused by morning insulin resistance or hormones)

I suffer from morning insulin resistance and my morning I:C ratio is very aggressive, if I skip breakfast I still need to bolus
insulin because my BG climbs rapidly as soon as my feet hit the floor in the morning. Increasing my morning basal will not
work because my BG stay’s around 90-100 until I get out of bead then it will climb to 150-200 during the next 90-120 min.

I need to bolus some insulin as soon as my feet hit the floor in the morning...

This post has been edited by JohnG: Aug 22 2011, 12:29 PM

--------------------
John
T1-LADA 1988
Paradigm-530G/CGMS

+Quote Post
JulieBlue
post Aug 22 2011, 07:24 PM
Post #9

Member No.: 3,812
My Pump: Paradigm 523

Could you have an infection or illness?

A year ago (way before I started pumping) I had a very bad skin infection that required surgery. When it was at it's worst I was taking 3 times my typical carb ratio, plus taking additional Lantus in the morning.

After the surgery, I went back to my normal ratio with no problem.

Might be worth a trip to your primary for a complete checkup and/or bloodwork.

--------------------
Julie Blue
Mommy*Wife*Writer*Type 1 Diabetic
Diagnosed T1 November 2009
Pumping since April 2011

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st August 2014 - 07:46 AM