IPB

Welcome to Insulin Pump Forums!

You are currently viewing this forum as a Guest, which gives you limited access to many areas of the message board. By joining our free community you will become a part of a wonderful world filled with information and support for all pumpers, from people considering or just starting the pump to veterans who've been using them for years! And when you become a member, you can access all of the fantastic features available on this board, like: replying to posts and contributing your opinion in polls; uploading and viewing pictures and files; communicating with others via Private Messaging (PM); accessing the exclusive forums available only to members; contests and lots more!

Best of all, membership is free and joining takes only a few minutes! And as an added bonus, this introduction message will go away when you view the forums as a member! So c'mon, stop lurking and become a member of the friendliest pump support forum on the web!

Join the Insulin Pump Forums Today!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wanted (from Medtronic): Needle caps
anderfo
post Mar 11 2010, 07:19 PM
Post #1

IPF Regular

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,639
My Pump: Paradigm 754 Veo

I've told Medtronic I would really like them to deliver needle caps; with their infusion sets but also for the sensor needles.
When I insert the sensor or an infusion set I'm not always at a hospital with a special-made plastic box for needles, and I'm also not always at home with an old olive glass or milk box to save the needles (instead of dropping them into the garbage).
Sometimes I'm in actually at a sport climbing crag, sometimes I'm at work, sometimes I'm in an airplane and sometimes I'm at the beach...and I don't want to throw needles into my backpack or the garbage without a needle cap on it.

Are there more people wanting this or am I the only one??
(IMG:style_emoticons/default/bing.gif)

This post has been edited by anderfo: Mar 11 2010, 07:20 PM

--------------------
Research webpage - My photos
Living in Trondheim, Norway. Born in 1981, diabetes type 1 since 1991. Minimed insulin pumps since 1998.
Paradigm RT 722 since Nov 2008, Paradigm Veo (754) since Feb 2010. Enlite sensors since May 2011.
Working for the Artificial Pancreas Trondheim (APT) research group since Jan 2014, as a postdoctoral fellow.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dave_
post Mar 11 2010, 07:26 PM
Post #2

IPF Addict

Group: Banned
Member No.: 100

I don't think Medtronic is in the business of making sharps containers. I think you are barking up the wrong tree. Go to a pharmacy and see what they have in the way of containers. Or just put into service, a suitable container (read: FREE). with a little ingenuity you will find something both big and small to hold your sharps.

This post has been edited by Dave_: Mar 11 2010, 07:27 PM

--------------------

Diagnosed T1 in 1978
MDI: 1978 -1996
Started pumping in '96 (MM 506)
MM523 (Blue Revel)
- My wife is a fellow pumper (Pink Revel)
Sets: Sure-T

+Quote Post
Denise3099
post Mar 11 2010, 07:37 PM
Post #3

IPF Rookie

Member No.: 2,669
My Pump: Minimed Paradigm 522

Actually, the sets dd uses, the quickset, has a needle cap built in. When you pull the needle out you just fold the other piece of the blue plastic and it covers the needle completely. And even the resevoir has a mostly covered needle. When I used a generic res one time I found the long needle hard to use and went back to the mini med resevoir. So I was really suprised the the sensor needle is totally exposed. I agree that the sensor needs a redesign so the removed needle has a covering. Their other products do.

--------------------
Non-D Mom to:
DD, age 8, dx at age 4, pumping with pink mm since July 09, cgm since Feb 10. Also has peanut allergy and asthma.
DS, age 11, non-D, but also has peanut allergy and asthma. Ah well. . .

+Quote Post
anderfo
post Mar 11 2010, 08:40 PM
Post #4

IPF Regular

QUOTE(Dave_ @ Mar 11 2010, 08:26 PM) *
I don't think Medtronic is in the business of making sharps containers. I think you are barking up the wrong tree. Go to a pharmacy and see what they have in the way of containers. Or just put into service, a suitable container (read: FREE). with a little ingenuity you will find something both big and small to hold your sharps.

Oh you misunderstood, I don't want to use containers. I just want a cap for the needle so I can throw it into my backpack or in the garbage without thinking more about it.
I can easily make a container from an olive glass, but I wouldn't (normally) bring it on a tent trip, to work, in the airplane or at the bus.

--------------------
Living in Trondheim, Norway. Born in 1981, diabetes type 1 since 1991. Minimed insulin pumps since 1998.
Paradigm RT 722 since Nov 2008, Paradigm Veo (754) since Feb 2010. Enlite sensors since May 2011.
Working for the Artificial Pancreas Trondheim (APT) research group since Jan 2014, as a postdoctoral fellow.

+Quote Post
Liz
post Mar 11 2010, 08:41 PM
Post #5

IPF Addict

Member No.: 1,173
My Pump: Minimed Revel

I change my sets & sensors at home most of the time. I also do it at work a few times a month. I have store bought sharps containers in both places. I buy the smallest ones, maybe 1 quart. It takes me a long time to fill one up. If I'm away from home I use an empty test strip vial and then transfer the sharps into my container when I get home. I used to carry an empty Altoids tin in my bag but that was overkill since I rarely used it.

--------------------
--
Liz
Type 1 4/27/87
Minimed Revel 723 + CGMS

+Quote Post
GA Hiker
post Mar 11 2010, 08:51 PM
Post #6

IPF Addict

Member No.: 844
My Pump: MM 530G / Enlite

I never buy sharps containers. At home, I use empty heavy-duty plastic "jars" from vitamins or calcium tablets (lasts 3-4 months). When out/traveling, I'll have an empty pill bottle, or small aspirin container, etc. depending on how long I will be out/away.

+Quote Post
anderfo
post Mar 11 2010, 09:05 PM
Post #7

IPF Regular

QUOTE(Denise3099 @ Mar 11 2010, 08:37 PM) *
Actually, the sets dd uses, the quickset, has a needle cap built in. When you pull the needle out you just fold the other piece of the blue plastic and it covers the needle completely. And even the resevoir has a mostly covered needle. When I used a generic res one time I found the long needle hard to use and went back to the mini med resevoir. So I was really suprised the the sensor needle is totally exposed. I agree that the sensor needs a redesign so the removed needle has a covering. Their other products do.

Yup the reservoir is ingenious, but the tiny blue plastic on my quickset doesn't impress the garbage hunters. They should make a better cap for it.
But I agree the sensor needle is more important; it is long and has no cap at all...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Linda B
post Mar 11 2010, 09:55 PM
Post #8

IPF Addict

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 30
My Pump: MM 530g with CGMS

QUOTE(GA Hiker @ Mar 11 2010, 03:51 PM) *
I never buy sharps containers. At home, I use empty heavy-duty plastic "jars" from vitamins or calcium tablets (lasts 3-4 months). When out/traveling, I'll have an empty pill bottle, or small aspirin container, etc. depending on how long I will be out/away.

That's what I do too. I use an empty prescription bottle, the big round one. I carry it with me when I'm away from home and put the needle there. It would fit into a backpack easily. And throwing the needle in there is safer in my opinion than trying to put a cap onto a sharp needle. I never put the cap back on my used lancets - I've poked myself way too many times doing that.

Linda B.

--------------------
Linda
Forum Moderator
Pumping with Minimed since 1995
Paradigm 530g w/ CGMS

+Quote Post
anderfo
post Mar 11 2010, 11:19 PM
Post #9

IPF Regular

I know you can do those things (different kinds of homemade containers) but still it would be a lot better if it had a cap just like every other syringe you can get at the pharmacy. Nobody would ever think about making a syringe without a cap, but I think Medtronic just didn't think about that when they made the sensor...

--------------------

+Quote Post
gigem99
post Mar 11 2010, 11:53 PM
Post #10

Diabetical Pundit

Member No.: 857
My Pump: mm 522

QUOTE(anderfo @ Mar 11 2010, 06:19 PM) *
I know you can do those things (different kinds of homemade containers) but still it would be a lot better if it had a cap just like every other syringe you can get at the pharmacy. Nobody would ever think about making a syringe without a cap, but I think Medtronic just didn't think about that when they made the sensor...

I think you're fighting a losing battle here, pardner. You are never supposed to re-cap a syringe. I suspect MM thought (for about 1.5 seconds) about enclosing a cap with the sensor, but the needle is supposed to go into a sharps - never capped.

Tom

--------------------
Tom
Forum moderator
LADA - dx'd 1985 at age 31 - treated as type 2
Insulin therapy in 1987
mm 522 since Aug. 2007, cgms since Nov. 2007

+Quote Post
GA Hiker
post Mar 12 2010, 12:17 AM
Post #11

IPF Addict

When I used syringes, I always put the cap back before putting it in the sharps container (don't ask why), and there were a number of times that the needle went through the cap and stuck me.

+Quote Post
Dave_
post Mar 12 2010, 12:56 AM
Post #12

IPF Addict

QUOTE(anderfo @ Mar 11 2010, 12:40 PM) *
Oh you misunderstood, I don't want to use containers. I just want a cap for the needle so I can throw it into my backpack or in the garbage without thinking more about it.
I can easily make a container from an olive glass, but I wouldn't (normally) bring it on a tent trip, to work, in the airplane or at the bus.

ah, yes I did misunderstand. I thought u wanted a container. my bad! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

--------------------

Diagnosed T1 in 1978
MM523 (Blue Revel)

+Quote Post
Arlene S.
post Mar 12 2010, 01:01 AM
Post #13

IPF Addict

Member No.: 553
My Pump: t:slim & Dexcom G4

Sure, they could make caps and charge more for the sets. Sorry, but no thanks. There are people who pay out of pocket for these sets. When I'mhome I put them in an empty cranberry juice bottle; when I travel I put them in a plastic bag or a prescription vial.

--------------------
Arlene S.
Forum Moderator

Type 1
Pumped with Minimed 1993-2014
MM CGMS 2006-2014
Dexcom G4, June 2014
t:slim, June 2014

+Quote Post
anderfo
post Mar 12 2010, 01:15 AM
Post #14

IPF Regular

In the infusion sets they have added two "caps" which will fit in the end of the cable and at the quickset. I have never used those and in my opinion a needle cap would be a lot more useful and not necessarily expensive to produce!
When they changed the reservoirs to a smarter design where a cap wasn't even needed anymore (because the needle is "hidden" inside a big tube), they didn't raise the price, did they?

I have never had a "sharps" container but I always make sure that the needle is closed into something, either a homemade container from glass or plastic, or in other cases I've had to figure out something right there.

Last time on a trip I ended up inserting the needle in a piece of wood (a branch) before putting it into my backpack and finally finding a glass at home later the same day. But this shouldn't be necessary...

About 70-80% of the times I insert a quickset or a sensor, I am not at a place where I have a container. In the remaining 20-30% it is not a problem. However it is funny that nobody else has this experience.

This post has been edited by anderfo: Mar 12 2010, 01:21 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Arlene S.
post Mar 12 2010, 01:49 AM
Post #15

IPF Addict

Member No.: 553
My Pump: t:slim & Dexcom G4

QUOTE(anderfo @ Mar 11 2010, 08:15 PM) *
In the infusion sets they have added two "caps" which will fit in the end of the cable and at the quickset. I have never used those and in my opinion a needle cap would be a lot more useful and not necessarily expensive to produce!
When they changed the reservoirs to a smarter design where a cap wasn't even needed anymore (because the needle is "hidden" inside a big tube), they didn't raise the price, did they?

I have never had a "sharps" container but I always make sure that the needle is closed into something, either a homemade container from glass or plastic, or in other cases I've had to figure out something right there.

Last time on a trip I ended up inserting the needle in a piece of wood (a branch) before putting it into my backpack and finally finding a glass at home later the same day. But this shouldn't be necessary...

About 70-80% of the times I insert a quickset or a sensor, I am not at a place where I have a container. In the remaining 20-30% it is not a problem. However it is funny that nobody else has this experience.

I've been pumping for 16-1/2 years and have traveled all over Europe, the US and also Central America and Canada, and I've never had a problem disposing of my used sets. I've never used Quicksets but I don't know why they should be different from Sils; they're both cannulas. I used to use Bent Needles but even then I've found ways to dispose of them properly. Sensors don't present a problem. I guess my wish list is different from yours. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

This post has been edited by Arlene S.: Mar 12 2010, 01:56 AM

--------------------
Arlene S.
Forum Moderator

Type 1
Pumped with Minimed 1993-2014
MM CGMS 2006-2014
Dexcom G4, June 2014
t:slim, June 2014

+Quote Post
Liz
post Mar 12 2010, 02:47 AM
Post #16

IPF Addict

Member No.: 1,173
My Pump: Minimed Revel

QUOTE(GA Hiker @ Mar 11 2010, 07:17 PM) *
When I used syringes, I always put the cap back before putting it in the sharps container (don't ask why), and there were a number of times that the needle went through the cap and stuck me.

I also managed to poke myself with syringes when recapping them. I always reused syringes a bunch of times and I bet the needle sometimes got a little bent which is why the cap didn't go on easily. I would always recap the syringe and then break off the top, leaving just the needle inside the cap. I'd put that in the sharps container and toss the barrel in the trash. Those barrels take up way too much room in the container.

I was just taking care of a friend's cats and one has diabetes. I did the same thing with her syringes. They use what looks like a cardboard can from some nutritional supplement as a sharps container. It doesn't seem very puncture proof.

--------------------
--
Liz
Type 1 4/27/87
Minimed Revel 723 + CGMS

+Quote Post
anderfo
post Mar 12 2010, 02:57 AM
Post #17

IPF Regular

I've never punctured myself while recapping a syringe and I've never "had problems" making sure the needles are laying around everywhere, but I've been annoyed when needles come without a cap. Well I guess we're just different.

I know I was also weird when I wished for a "low BG suspend" function on the pump, a year before Medtronic started using it. Most people in this forum didn't like the idea though. It has already saved me a couple of times, after using Veo for a few weeks.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GA Hiker
post Mar 12 2010, 03:10 AM
Post #18

IPF Addict

QUOTE(Liz @ Mar 11 2010, 09:47 PM) *
I also managed to poke myself with syringes when recapping them. I always reused syringes a bunch of times and I bet the needle sometimes got a little bent which is why the cap didn't go on easily. I would always recap the syringe and then break off the top, leaving just the needle inside the cap. I'd put that in the sharps container and toss the barrel in the trash. Those barrels take up way too much room in the container.

When I was on MDI, I used a Costco gallon milk container for sharps (heavier plastic than the usual grocery versions). It was so large, and I could have a new one so often, I didn't care how much space the syringes and pen needles took.

+Quote Post
Dave_
post Mar 12 2010, 03:17 AM
Post #19

IPF Addict

QUOTE(anderfo @ Mar 11 2010, 06:57 PM) *
I've never punctured myself while recapping a syringe and I've never "had problems" making sure the needles are laying around everywhere, but I've been annoyed when needles come without a cap. Well I guess we're just different.

I know I was also weird when I wished for a "low BG suspend" function on the pump, a year before Medtronic started using it. Most people in this forum didn't like the idea though. It has already saved me a couple of times, after using Veo for a few weeks.

You either lead a charmed life or are far more dexterous and careful than the average person, not to have ever stuck yourself while recapping! I used to stick myself with the large needles used to draw insulin into luer lock type reservoirs used on the pre-Paradigm series of MM pumps. (I also poked myself when recapping syringes because the sharp needle would sometimes poke THROUGH the side of the plastic cap because it didn't go in 100% straight.) I was so glad to see they covered the small needle with a plastic "transfer guard" on their proprietary reservoirs. Kudos to MM!!

It sounds as if you are having severe issues with low bg's. How long have you pumped? how long on insulin? do you keep logs to try to track whats the source of your severe lows? Have you read Pumping Insulin by John Walsh? I ask these questions because while a CGMS can HELP (assuming it is accurate. LOL! we all know where I'm going with that one!), the primary method of preventing a blackout or death from low bg's is more careful management, rather than relying on the CGMS to "save" you. In other words, if there's no emergency to begin with, you don't need to rely on a CGMS to stop your basal "drip". I hope that makes SOME sense. Feel free to disagree! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I'm actually trying to help by putting things into a different perspective, so don't be upset with my comments, please.

This post has been edited by Dave_: Mar 12 2010, 03:19 AM

--------------------

Diagnosed T1 in 1978
MM523 (Blue Revel)

+Quote Post
anderfo
post Mar 12 2010, 03:48 AM
Post #20

IPF Regular

I've pumped since ~1998, having CGMS since 2008.
Actually the CGMS works pretty well for me. I've managed to lower my A1c with about 3 percentage points and having far less trouble with low BG in the night. According to the curves my nighttime average now is about 3 mmol/L higher than my daytime average (~8mmol/L vs. ~5mmol/L), just how I want it (that's also why I want lower alarm limits in the daytime).

The main reasons for my trouble with low BG sometimes in the night is just that I live a non-regular life with sometimes 0 hr/week of exercise and sometimes 20 hr/week - which is a big difference. My daily totals (basal+boluses) can be everything from 25 units to 80 units, changing from 60 one day to 25 the next day.
The reason why "low BG suspend" is very useful for me, is that I never wake up from the alarms (they are not loud enough, and I sleep to deeply when actually having low BG) and I'm not having a wife or a family to check if I wake up. I've several times slept from 11pm to 7am having an alarm (any kind; low battery, calibration, high BG, low BG) running continously from midnight till breakfast...
In the daytime I almost never have low BG, well I'm often being low but I'm feeling the symptoms very well and eat when I have to.

I haven't read that book and I might have a look at it. I'm very careful and I have backup plans but sometimes they don't work as expected.
Thanks for your help!

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th October 2014 - 01:40 PM