IPB

Welcome to Insulin Pump Forums!

You are currently viewing this forum as a Guest, which gives you limited access to many areas of the message board. By joining our free community you will become a part of a wonderful world filled with information and support for all pumpers, from people considering or just starting the pump to veterans who've been using them for years! And when you become a member, you can access all of the fantastic features available on this board, like: replying to posts and contributing your opinion in polls; uploading and viewing pictures and files; communicating with others via Private Messaging (PM); accessing the exclusive forums available only to members; contests and lots more!

Best of all, membership is free and joining takes only a few minutes! And as an added bonus, this introduction message will go away when you view the forums as a member! So c'mon, stop lurking and become a member of the friendliest pump support forum on the web!

Join the Insulin Pump Forums Today!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Site infection?
JD smith
post May 10 2010, 07:18 PM
Post #1

IPF Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,672
My Pump: minimed 722

At the edge of my last infusion site (sil), there is a raised sore developing with what looks like a good sized raised blister. It is not where the insertion was, but rather at the edge of where the adhesive patch was. It started out sorta clear Saturday when I changed, but is now dark reddish and the surrounding area is rather warm and hard. I often have small hard spots where I remove the cannula, but nothing like this. Anyone have any experience with this? I have been covering it with triple anti-biotic and a gauze square to prevent rubbing it open. Or should I just pop the blister? This is all about two inches away from belly button.
Thanks!
JD
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Linda B
post May 10 2010, 09:09 PM
Post #2

IPF Addict

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 30
My Pump: MM 530g with CGMS

It sounds like an infection to me. Infections are not to be treated lightly.
If it's not improved somewhat by morning, I would definitely go to the doctor.

Linda B.

--------------------
Linda
Forum Moderator
Pumping with Minimed since 1995
Paradigm 530g w/ CGMS

+Quote Post
hitani
post May 22 2010, 05:42 AM
Post #3

IPF Rookie

Member No.: 2,903
My Pump: Minimed 754 Veo

Yesterday was the first time I changed the infusion set with the help of the practitionner nurse. The thing is when we put it on 2 and half days ago, it did not stick very well do we have to play around with it until fixed and we added so extra tape. When we took the infusion set out, there was some redness on the skin like a rash ( which disappeared in about 5 minutes) the nurse think that I might be allergic to the tape? I hope that I am not allergic to the inserted Canula. Anyone had the same problem in the begining?

On another note, I did not use too much insulin in the first 2 days and there was about 100 Units left in the reservoir and what we did is to draw the insulin out from the reservoir with a new steril needle and pumped it back into the insulin Viale with the approval of the nurse since insulin is money! and we did not want to waste it. Is there a problem with that? any thoughts?

+Quote Post
JohnG
post May 22 2010, 10:24 AM
Post #4

IPF Addict

Member No.: 1,726
My Pump: Paradigm 723/CGMS

QUOTE(hitani @ May 22 2010, 12:42 AM) *
there was some redness on the skin like a rash ( which disappeared in about 5 minutes) the nurse think that I might be allergic to the tape? I hope that I am not allergic to the inserted cannula. Anyone had the same problem in the beginning?

On another note, I did not use too much insulin in the first 2 days and there was about 100 Units left in the reservoir and what we did is to draw the insulin out from the reservoir with a new sterile needle and pumped it back into the insulin Vial with the approval of the nurse since insulin is money! and we did not want to waste it. Is there a problem with that? any thoughts?

The removal of the tape can cause irritation and redness. My skin does this every time but it clears completely within a few hours.

I do not think saving the insulin was a problem. You should only fill the reservoir with enough insulin to last until
your next set change or just continue to use the same reservoir until empty and change it on a different time
schedule.

JohnG

--------------------
John
T1-LADA 1988
Paradigm-530G/CGMS

+Quote Post
hitani
post May 23 2010, 07:15 AM
Post #5

IPF Rookie

Member No.: 2,903
My Pump: Minimed 754 Veo

QUOTE(JohnG @ May 22 2010, 01:24 PM) *
The removal of the tape can cause irritation and redness. My skin does this every time but it clears completely within a few hours.

I do not think saving the insulin was a problem. You should only fill the reservoir with enough insulin to last until
your next set change or just continue to use the same reservoir until empty and change it on a different time
schedule.

JohnG

Thank you Jphn

when you say "continue using the same reservoir until empty", do you mean extend the time to change the infusion set until the reservoit is empty assuming that this will not exceed the 4th day the infusion set was inserted?

regards

H. Itani

+Quote Post
Linda B
post May 23 2010, 12:03 PM
Post #6

IPF Addict

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 30
My Pump: MM 530g with CGMS

QUOTE(hitani @ May 23 2010, 03:15 AM) *
Thank you Jphn

when you say "continue using the same reservoir until empty", do you mean extend the time to change the infusion set until the reservoit is empty assuming that this will not exceed the 4th day the infusion set was inserted?

regards

H. Itani

NO. You don't use the infusion set for a longer time. You simply connect a new infusion set to the old reservoir. You should NEVER use an infusion set for longer than 3 days.

In fact I change my tubing only when I change reservoirs. But I use the Silhouettes and the Sure-Ts and it's easy to connect them to the old tubing.

If you are using QuickSets, then the better idea is simply to put a little more than 3 days worth of insulin (plus the amount used for priming the tube) into the reservoir and changing them all at the same time.

Linda B.

--------------------
Linda
Forum Moderator
Pumping with Minimed since 1995
Paradigm 530g w/ CGMS

+Quote Post
GA Hiker
post May 23 2010, 12:49 PM
Post #7

IPF Addict

Member No.: 844
My Pump: MM 530G / Enlite

QUOTE(Linda B @ May 23 2010, 08:03 AM) *
If you are using QuickSets, then the better idea is simply to put a little more than 3 days worth of insulin (plus the amount used for priming the tube) into the reservoir and changing them all at the same time.
Linda B.

When I was using QuickSets, I changed my reservoir only when it was almost empty, about once a week. When I changed infusion sets -- I'd disconnect the tubing, insert a new QS infusion set (NOT primed), then immediately disconnect the new tubing (and save it), re-connect the old tubing and do a fixed prime. When I filled a new reservoir -- I disconnected my tubing and discarded it with the old reservoir, attached one of the saved QS tubes to the newly filled reservoir, did a manual prime, and connected the new tubing to the existing QS site.

Barbara

+Quote Post
Liz
post May 23 2010, 06:45 PM
Post #8

IPF Addict

Member No.: 1,173
My Pump: Minimed Revel

I am another one who only changes my reservoir & tubing when it's empty but I do change my sets every 3 days. Some sets like the Silhouette & Sure-T are inserted without the tubing attached. For Quick-Sets or Mios you just don't fill the tubing and insert the set with the empty tubing. After the set is in, unhook the empty tubing and reattach the old tubing/reservoir.

I have the bigger reservoir (300 units). When I got my first pump in 2005 my CDE/nurse wondered why they sent the larger one. She told me to fill the reservoir part way and throw out what was left after 3 days. I ended up wasting a lot of insulin. The other side is that you don't know what's going to happen when you may need more insulin that usual, so you may end up underfilling the reservoir. Filling it completely works for me. As someone else mentioned, I do save the unused tubing. If my reservoir is empty but I'm not due to change my set for another day or two I don't want to have to open a full set just to get new tubing. I grab a piece from my stash that I keep in a heavy duty ziploc plastic bag.

--------------------
--
Liz
Type 1 4/27/87
Minimed Revel 723 + CGMS

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th September 2014 - 03:27 PM