IPB

Welcome to Insulin Pump Forums!

You are currently viewing this forum as a Guest, which gives you limited access to many areas of the message board. By joining our free community you will become a part of a wonderful world filled with information and support for all pumpers, from people considering or just starting the pump to veterans who've been using them for years! And when you become a member, you can access all of the fantastic features available on this board, like: replying to posts and contributing your opinion in polls; uploading and viewing pictures and files; communicating with others via Private Messaging (PM); accessing the exclusive forums available only to members; contests and lots more!

Best of all, membership is free and joining takes only a few minutes! And as an added bonus, this introduction message will go away when you view the forums as a member! So c'mon, stop lurking and become a member of the friendliest pump support forum on the web!

Join the Insulin Pump Forums Today!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Disconnecting for swimming
mollygolly
post May 27 2010, 02:24 AM
Post #1

IPF Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,677
My Pump: Minimed 522

This feels like a dumb question but what is the correct way to disconnect when going swimming(usually about a hour) when using CGM? I have been just disconnecting my daughter and not doing anything to the pump. Last time I did this I got lost sensor error and then a calibration error. Just trying to figure what the best way to avoid these error messages. Thanks for the tips.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Linda B
post May 27 2010, 02:33 AM
Post #2

IPF Addict

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 30
My Pump: MM 530g with CGMS

QUOTE(mollygolly @ May 26 2010, 10:24 PM) *
This feels like a dumb question but what is the correct way to disconnect when going swimming(usually about a hour) when using CGM? I have been just disconnecting my daughter and not doing anything to the pump. Last time I did this I got lost sensor error and then a calibration error. Just trying to figure what the best way to avoid these error messages. Thanks for the tips.

Unfortunately, the sensor will need to be stopped and then restarted when she goes swimming. To do this, go to the sensor menu, edit settings, and turn the sensor option off. When she reconnects, go to sensor, edit settings, and turn it back on. You then have to go to start under the sensor menu and either reconnect old sensor or start new sensor (depending on whether the sensor was tracking well before the disconnect). It should ask for a Meter BG within 5 minutes, so you need to be ready to calibrate when you turn it back on. There is no reason not to leave it turned off until it is time for her next fingerstick.

Because I don't like going through all of that, I purchase an Aquapac and just leave my pump on and my sensor going while I am in the pool. For the US store:
http://www.aquapac.net/usstore/insulin-pum...154-1162-0.html
For the rest of the world including Canada:
http://www.aquapac.net/ukstore/insulin-pum...154-1162-0.html

It works great for me. Aaron just had an incident where he did not close the case properly, so you need to be positive you have the case completely shut before she goes in the water. I have never had an issue.

Linda B.

--------------------
Linda
Forum Moderator
Pumping with Minimed since 1995
Paradigm 530g w/ CGMS

+Quote Post
Liz
post May 27 2010, 03:53 AM
Post #3

IPF Addict

Member No.: 1,173
My Pump: Minimed Revel

QUOTE(mollygolly @ May 26 2010, 10:24 PM) *

The transmitter stores 40 minutes worth of data. If you can get your daughter to go back to the pump every 30-35 minutes or so until they restablish communication, the transmitter will send the missing data to the pump and she can then go back in the water. You do not have to turn the sensor off while she's swimming unless you know she won't want to go back & forth to her pump every 35 minutes or so. It can take up to 5 minutes for the pump & transmitter to start "talking" again which is why I wouldn't wait the whole 40 minutes.

--------------------
--
Liz
Type 1 4/27/87
Minimed Revel 723 + CGMS

+Quote Post
Linda B
post May 27 2010, 12:01 PM
Post #4

IPF Addict

QUOTE(Liz @ May 26 2010, 11:53 PM) *
The transmitter stores 40 minutes worth of data. If you can get your daughter to go back to the pump every 30-35 minutes or so until they restablish communication, the transmitter will send the missing data to the pump and she can then go back in the water. You do not have to turn the sensor off while she's swimming unless you know she won't want to go back & forth to her pump every 35 minutes or so. It can take up to 5 minutes for the pump & transmitter to start "talking" again which is why I wouldn't wait the whole 40 minutes.

Won't it have a 'lost sensor' error sooner than the 35 minutes? Do you have to do the 'find lost sensor' or will it automatically connect?

Linda B.

--------------------
Linda
Forum Moderator
Paradigm 530g w/ CGMS

+Quote Post
Liz
post May 27 2010, 01:01 PM
Post #5

IPF Addict

QUOTE(Linda B @ May 27 2010, 08:01 AM) *
Won't it have a 'lost sensor' error sooner than the 35 minutes? Do you have to do the 'find lost sensor' or will it automatically connect?

Linda B.

No, Lost Sensor doesn't show up until it's been out of range for 40 minutes. You can't change that. You can change the timing of the Weak Signal alerts. As long as the Lost Sensor message has NOT appeared, the transmitter will communicate with the pump and send the info as soon as they're back in range. If you do get Lost Sensor you have to go into the menu and choose Find Lost Sensor or just restart it.

--------------------
--
Liz
Type 1 4/27/87
Minimed Revel 723 + CGMS

+Quote Post
mollygolly
post May 27 2010, 08:02 PM
Post #6

IPF Rookie

Thanks for the info....swim class is 30 minutes and sometimes she is back beside the pump and we have had no issues. It sounds like it might be easier to shut the sensor off if she will be past the 40minutes. I will definitely be checking my watch next time.

+Quote Post
Liz
post May 27 2010, 08:34 PM
Post #7

IPF Addict

I am not positive, but after getting a Lost Sensor message you may be able to retrieve some of the data if you choose Find Lost Sensor rather than telling it you're starting a new one. I lost my signal a few weeks ago when my pump got unclipped during the night and I rolled over. When I finally heard the alarm I did Find Lost Sensor, expecting to hear the calibration request in a few minutes. It never came and the next time I looked at the pump there was data. I guess it will send the last 40 minutes and anything before that will be missing.

--------------------
--
Liz
Type 1 4/27/87
Minimed Revel 723 + CGMS

+Quote Post
mollygolly
post May 28 2010, 12:33 AM
Post #8

IPF Rookie

Usually I leave everything on and sometimes she is back beside me and all info is still there when I hook her back to the pump. Last time it must of been longer than usual...thus the lost sensor...I did hit the find lost sensor....and was waiting for the check BG but when I checked probably 10-15min later it said calibration error. It is the calibration error message that had me confused as I hadn't entered a BG yet. I usually give her a snack after swimming so was trying to figure out what do as then there would be IOB....I just have to get my head around when to calibrate and tune out her "can I have my snack yet?" Diabetes definitely keeps you thinking!

+Quote Post
Liz
post May 28 2010, 01:31 AM
Post #9

IPF Addict

QUOTE(mollygolly @ May 27 2010, 08:33 PM) *
Usually I leave everything on and sometimes she is back beside me and all info is still there when I hook her back to the pump. Last time it must of been longer than usual...thus the lost sensor...I did hit the find lost sensor....and was waiting for the check BG but when I checked probably 10-15min later it said calibration error. It is the calibration error message that had me confused as I hadn't entered a BG yet. I usually give her a snack after swimming so was trying to figure out what do as then there would be IOB....I just have to get my head around when to calibrate and tune out her "can I have my snack yet?" Diabetes definitely keeps you thinking!

Was she still in range after you did Find Lost Sensor, or had she wandered away from the pump? I also don't see how it could give you a calibration error if you hadn't entered a BG yet. Had you entered one in the recent past?

--------------------
--
Liz
Type 1 4/27/87
Minimed Revel 723 + CGMS

+Quote Post
mollygolly
post May 28 2010, 06:38 PM
Post #10

IPF Rookie

After I did Find Lost Sensor she was connected back to pump and I am sure (as much as I can remember last week) that I didn't check be BG. But now that I am trying to remember who knows! If I had entered a BG why would the calibration error been there?

+Quote Post
Liz
post May 28 2010, 06:58 PM
Post #11

IPF Addict

QUOTE(mollygolly @ May 28 2010, 02:38 PM) *
After I did Find Lost Sensor she was connected back to pump and I am sure (as much as I can remember last week) that I didn't check be BG. But now that I am trying to remember who knows! If I had entered a BG why would the calibration error been there?

A couple of times when I restarted my sensor I had tested my BG right before. I kept expecting to hear the alarm to calibrate and it never came. Turns out that it used my recent BG entry for the calibration. If you had entered a recent BG that was out of range with the isig, that could have caused the error. Or maybe the sensor was due for a calibration while she was swimming and the pump got confused when you got the sensor going again?

--------------------
--
Liz
Type 1 4/27/87
Minimed Revel 723 + CGMS

+Quote Post
aggie168
post May 31 2010, 06:32 PM
Post #12

IPF Regular

Member No.: 2,283
My Pump: MM 530G w/Enlite

QUOTE(Linda B @ May 26 2010, 09:33 PM) *
Because I don't like going through all of that, I purchase an Aquapac and just leave my pump on and my sensor going while I am in the pool. For the US store:
http://www.aquapac.net/usstore/insulin-pum...154-1162-0.html
For the rest of the world including Canada:
http://www.aquapac.net/ukstore/insulin-pum...154-1162-0.html

It works great for me. Aaron just had an incident where he did not close the case properly, so you need to be positive you have the case completely shut before she goes in the water. I have never had an issue.
Linda B.

Hello Linda, I just ordered an aquapac case as I will have a chance for some R&R soon. I am wondering do we just dip in the pool with the infusion set or we should put another tape over it like a Tegaderm. I know it is OK for showers, I just never try keeping it wet for longer duration. Thanks, aggie168

--------------------
=================================
DX 02.2002 / MiniMed 530G (751) with CGMS
Humalog / Aspirin-81 / Lipitor-10 / Losartan-50

+Quote Post
Linda B
post May 31 2010, 08:02 PM
Post #13

IPF Addict

QUOTE(aggie168 @ May 31 2010, 02:32 PM) *
Hello Linda, I just ordered an aquapac case as I will have a chance for some R&R soon. I am wondering do we just dip in the pool with the infusion set or we should put another tape over it like a Tegaderm. I know it is OK for showers, I just never try keeping it wet for longer duration. Thanks, aggie168

I have never had a problem with an infusion set in the pool.
If you decide to use additional tape, tape it down when DISCONNECTED, cutting a hole in the middle of the tape by folding it in half. Place the hole over the disconnected set. Then reconnect. Otherwise you won't ever be able to disconnect it because when you pull the tape off you will probably pull the set out.

When you use the Aquapac you will have to remove the small clip from your pump (if you use the clip).

Linda B.

--------------------
Linda
Forum Moderator
Paradigm 530g w/ CGMS

+Quote Post
aggie168
post Jun 2 2010, 04:39 AM
Post #14

IPF Regular

Member No.: 2,283
My Pump: MM 530G w/Enlite

QUOTE(Linda B @ May 31 2010, 03:02 PM) *
I have never had a problem with an infusion set in the pool.
If you decide to use additional tape, tape it down when DISCONNECTED, cutting a hole in the middle of the tape by folding it in half. Place the hole over the disconnected set. Then reconnect. Otherwise you won't ever be able to disconnect it because when you pull the tape off you will probably pull the set out.

When you use the Aquapac you will have to remove the small clip from your pump (if you use the clip).

Linda B.

Linda B. Thanks ...

--------------------
=================================
DX 02.2002 / MiniMed 530G (751) with CGMS
Humalog / Aspirin-81 / Lipitor-10 / Losartan-50

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st September 2014 - 06:08 PM