IPB

Welcome to Insulin Pump Forums!

You are currently viewing this forum as a Guest, which gives you limited access to many areas of the message board. By joining our free community you will become a part of a wonderful world filled with information and support for all pumpers, from people considering or just starting the pump to veterans who've been using them for years! And when you become a member, you can access all of the fantastic features available on this board, like: replying to posts and contributing your opinion in polls; uploading and viewing pictures and files; communicating with others via Private Messaging (PM); accessing the exclusive forums available only to members; contests and lots more!

Best of all, membership is free and joining takes only a few minutes! And as an added bonus, this introduction message will go away when you view the forums as a member! So c'mon, stop lurking and become a member of the friendliest pump support forum on the web!

Join the Insulin Pump Forums Today!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Basal Rate w/ the Ping, Basal Rate w/ the Ping
needpumpinfo
post Jun 25 2011, 05:46 PM
Post #1

IPF Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,704
My Pump: None yet

How does basal rate work in a pump? Let's say I'll be set at 1.0 every hour, do I get 1 full unit at the top of each hour or do I get .5 unit every half hour? How exactly does that work with the Ping? Just curious. Thanks.

--------------------
Gathering information on the right pump to get
This will be a first pump
T1, 15+ years
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tazm21
post Jun 25 2011, 06:26 PM
Post #2

IPF Regular

Member No.: 2,033
My Pump: Animas Ping

basal delivery will vary depending on how much insulin needs to be delivered within the hour. The minimal amount per hr the Ping can deliver is 0.025U. So if that's all you needed for one hour, (highly unlikely) there would only be one dose. It can go up to as often as a small dose every three minutes for a large per hour dose. My basal rates vary from 0.5 up to 0.85 per hour, and basal doses usually occur every 5 to 10 min. If it's quiet and you are listening closely you can hear the little "tick" from the pump. I'm sure Animas customer service has the actual rate vs. dose schedule.

+Quote Post
JohnG
post Jun 25 2011, 06:27 PM
Post #3

IPF Addict

Member No.: 1,726
My Pump: Paradigm 723/CGMS

QUOTE(needpumpinfo @ Jun 25 2011, 12:46 PM) *
How does basal rate work in a pump? Let's say I'll be set at 1.0 every hour, do I get 1 full unit at the top of each hour or do I get .5 unit every half hour? How exactly does that work with the Ping? Just curious. Thanks.

If you look in the operation manual it will explain “exactly” how the pump delivers basal...it’s based on the hourly rate.

Example: .75u/hr basal rate (.025u / every 2 min =.75u per hour).

--------------------
John
T1-LADA 1988
Paradigm-530G/CGMS

+Quote Post
jbkjr
post Jun 28 2011, 03:06 AM
Post #4

IPF Regular

Member No.: 1,927
My Pump: minimed 522

I think animas delivers insulin every 3 minutes and at the end of an hour you will have the basal you have set. If it's 1.0 unit per hour it would deliver every 3 minutes and at the end of the hour you would have 1.0 unit. 1.0 unit divided by 20 and that is how much insulin you would get every 3 minutes. I had a animas pump now have a minimed. I could hear the animas tick every 3 minutes if it was very quiet. I cannot hear the minimed.

+Quote Post
tazm21
post Jul 1 2011, 12:25 AM
Post #5

IPF Regular

Member No.: 2,033

Well a delivery of every 3 minutes would be true if your basal dose is at least 0.5 u per hour. Anything less and the delivery would have to be spaced out more since 0.5 divided by 20 = 0.025, the minimum dose the Animas can deliver.

+Quote Post
jbkjr
post Jul 1 2011, 01:46 AM
Post #6

IPF Regular

Member No.: 1,927
My Pump: minimed 522

.025 units per hour is the lowest dose the animas pump can deliver not the lowest dose every three minutes.

+Quote Post
JohnG
post Jul 1 2011, 11:38 AM
Post #7

IPF Addict

Member No.: 1,726
My Pump: Paradigm 723/CGMS

The Animas pump delivers basal the same way as the MM pump with a minimum time devision of three minutes.

.025 is the smallest dose the pump can deliver so if .025u/h is the u/h setting the
pump would deliver one dose every hour.

The MM723 delivers basal at three different rates depending on how much is delivered per hour.

0.025 u (for 0.025– 0.975 u/h)

0.05 u (for 1.00–9.95 u/h)

0.1 u (for rates of 10.0- 35.0 u/h)

.025 is the smallest dose the 723 pump can deliver so if .025u/h is the u/h setting the
pump would deliver one dose every hour.

This post has been edited by JohnG: Jul 1 2011, 11:41 AM

--------------------
John
T1-LADA 1988
Paradigm-530G/CGMS

+Quote Post
pingpumper2
post Jul 27 2011, 03:03 AM
Post #8

IPF Rookie

Member No.: 3,747

It gives a dose every 3 minutes.

--------------------
About to start on Animas Ping..

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2014 - 05:58 PM