IPB

Welcome to Insulin Pump Forums!

You are currently viewing this forum as a Guest, which gives you limited access to many areas of the message board. By joining our free community you will become a part of a wonderful world filled with information and support for all pumpers, from people considering or just starting the pump to veterans who've been using them for years! And when you become a member, you can access all of the fantastic features available on this board, like: replying to posts and contributing your opinion in polls; uploading and viewing pictures and files; communicating with others via Private Messaging (PM); accessing the exclusive forums available only to members; contests and lots more!

Best of all, membership is free and joining takes only a few minutes! And as an added bonus, this introduction message will go away when you view the forums as a member! So c'mon, stop lurking and become a member of the friendliest pump support forum on the web!

Join the Insulin Pump Forums Today!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Refilling cartridge
LisaS
post Aug 25 2011, 05:51 AM
Post #1

IPF Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,802
My Pump: Animas Ping

Just got trained todAy. Am very insulin resistant and used 300 units daily doing mdi. Since I will have to refill the cartridge at least once before the end of three days when I change my infusion set, I chose the ping instead of the revel, mostly for the remote feature.

So how do I refill the cartridge with insulin instead of using a whole new cartridge... Obviously my insurance only covers 2 cartridges per week.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Manxman
post Aug 26 2011, 04:10 AM
Post #2

IPF Pundit

Member No.: 2,787
My Pump: Medtronic

QUOTE(LisaS @ Aug 24 2011, 10:51 PM) *
Just got trained todAy. Am very insulin resistant and used 300 units daily doing mdi. Since I will have to refill the cartridge at least once before the end of three days when I change my infusion set, I chose the ping instead of the revel, mostly for the remote feature.

So how do I refill the cartridge with insulin instead of using a whole new cartridge... Obviously my insurance only covers 2 cartridges per week.

Your pump components may be different, but Medtronic users keep a used insulin vial adapter and reservoir plunger handle in their supplies. To refill a reservoir, we go through the process on the pump to change reservoir and infusion set, but we leave the set in place on the body, detach the reservoir, screw it into the adapter,attach the adapter and reservoir to the insulin bottle, and fill just as usual. When you have gotten all air bubbles out, re-install the reservoir in the pump, go through the "fill tubing" routine just to get the pump to drive the internal plunger into contact with the bottom of the reservoir, and re-connect the infusion set to the reservoir. No need to do the "fill cannula" step- it's already full. Just go on with life until, for you unfortunately, tomorrow and do it again. Please accept my sympathy- what a pain in the (ahem) neck.

+Quote Post
calvic
post Aug 26 2011, 07:27 PM
Post #3

IPF Rookie

Member No.: 2,722
My Pump: mm 522

I use a syringe to refill mine.

+Quote Post
meeaow
post Aug 27 2011, 03:25 AM
Post #4

IPF Regular

Member No.: 1,758
My Pump: Animas 2020 PINK! :D

QUOTE(LisaS @ Aug 25 2011, 05:51 PM) *

I have a 2020 not a Ping, but if they are the same then you just refill it the same way you fill it to start with. Just disconnect from the tubing then refill (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
jbkjr
post Aug 27 2011, 12:12 PM
Post #5

IPF Regular

Member No.: 1,927
My Pump: minimed 522

When I had the animas ir1200 I had to save the needle to attach to the cartridge. It has a cap and I would store it in a zip lock bag. I only used about 45 units a day so I rarely had to refill the cartridge. You will have to disconnect the luer lock and connect the needle and fill the cartridge. I would then disconnect the needle and push the plunger til the insulin would bulge out the top. Reconnect and you are done. Oh almost forgot you will need the plunger connection also. Mine use to be blue. So in short save the needle and the plunger to refill. Hope this didn't confuse you . J. B.

+Quote Post
LisaS
post Aug 31 2011, 12:21 AM
Post #6

IPF Rookie

I've now had the pump for almost a week. What I have been doing is detaching from me, then refilling the cartridge with needle. I assume I have to still do the rewind, prime, fill cannula? Since I use about 1 1/2 cartridges /daily... i have been keeping two filled cartridges with me all day just in case.

Another question: I went swimming on sat and suspended the pump. The cannula which was still adherred to me, got all soaked though and the cannula came off when I got out of the pool. What do you to prevent that ( since I wasn't supposed to change my infusion set yet).

+Quote Post
Linda B
post Aug 31 2011, 12:37 AM
Post #7

IPF Addict

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 30
My Pump: MM 530g with CGMS

QUOTE(LisaS @ Aug 30 2011, 08:21 PM) *
Another question: I went swimming on sat and suspended the pump. The cannula which was still adherred to me, got all soaked though and the cannula came off when I got out of the pool. What do you to prevent that ( since I wasn't supposed to change my infusion set yet).

You can put tape on top of the infusion set, but you have to cut a hole in the tape. I use OpSite Flexifx - it comes on a roll. I cut a piece so that it is square, fold it in half, and cut a semicircle in the center so that when it opens up there is a hole there. Put the tape over the infusion set. Now you can disconnect and reconnect without touching the tape. The Flexifix is waterproof.

You can try using Paper Tape (3M Micropore) that you can buy in a drugstore. With that I would just put small pieces all around the infusion site without covering the connection. It might work.

Smith and Nephew now makes tape that is already cut and already has a hole in it, but they are pretty expensive. If your insurance covers them you can just use them.

Linda B.

--------------------
Linda
Forum Moderator
Pumping with Minimed since 1995
Paradigm 530g w/ CGMS

+Quote Post
Liz
post Aug 31 2011, 01:29 AM
Post #8

IPF Addict

Member No.: 1,173
My Pump: Minimed Revel

QUOTE(LisaS @ Aug 30 2011, 08:21 PM) *

Besides putting tape over the set you can also try using something underneath. Some people will put down a piece of Tegaderm or IV300 first and then insert the set through that to help it stick in place better. I would advise against using IV3000 as I find water doesn't play nice with it. Tegaderm or a piece of Opsite Flexifix would work better. You can also buy a bottle of mastisol to help the sets stick better. I've never used it but apparently it keeps the sets stuck down very well. They make something to help remove the Mastisol (Detachol?) because it sticks so well.

--------------------
--
Liz
Type 1 4/27/87
Minimed Revel 723 + CGMS

+Quote Post
tazm21
post Sep 1 2011, 12:55 AM
Post #9

IPF Regular

Member No.: 2,033

when you refill an existing reservoir you should save the needle and blue handle to reuse them with the cartridge, I just store them in the box with my insulin vial. Open up the pump and remove the reservoir, then you have to refill, rewind and prime but you do NOT want to fill cannula again since you haven't changed out your infusion set.

+Quote Post
LisaS
post Sep 3 2011, 06:39 AM
Post #10

IPF Rookie

When you take off the infusion set, is the area supposed to stay red for a day or two? ( my second insertion area is still red) And am I supposed to put Neosporin on the area every time I take the set off?

And what happens if I "hit" a blood vessel when I insert. I'd had three insertions so far in the 9 days I've had the pump, and my first insertion is still black and blue.

+Quote Post
JohnG
post Sep 3 2011, 10:25 AM
Post #11

IPF Addict

Member No.: 1,726
My Pump: Paradigm 723/CGMS

QUOTE(LisaS @ Sep 3 2011, 01:39 AM) *
When you take off the infusion set, is the area supposed to stay red for a day or two? ( my second insertion area is still red) And am I supposed to put Neosporin on the area every time I take the set off?

And what happens if I "hit" a blood vessel when I insert. I'd had three insertions so far in the 9 days I've had the pump, and my first insertion is still black and blue.

I have had maybe 3-4 insertion sits that have bruised in the past 3+ years. If it is a reoccurring problem try a different style infusion set
SureTís do this to me every time (steel needle set).

I was instructed to use Neosporin and most of the time I will...I also will have a red patch shaped like the adhesive on the infusion set and it
is usually gone the next day. This can be caused buy adhesive friction when the set is removed and if iím not careful it will pull of some skin when
removing it...using a good skin prep will help.

This post has been edited by JohnG: Sep 3 2011, 10:27 AM

--------------------
John
T1-LADA 1988
Paradigm-530G/CGMS

+Quote Post
Liz
post Sep 3 2011, 03:48 PM
Post #12

IPF Addict

Member No.: 1,173
My Pump: Minimed Revel

QUOTE(LisaS @ Sep 3 2011, 02:39 AM) *

I usually see a small red dot when I remove a set. The dot is at the point where the cannula entered my skin. As long as it's not a hard bump, there's no pus or blood coming out and it doesn't hurt I leave it alone. With me it can take weeks for the red spot to completely fade away. I don't think they're anything to be concerned about, other than the fact that they might not look nice. As John said, sometimes you can have a red area the size of the adhesive patch. I have had that happen as well, usually in the summer when it's hot & humid and usually when I put a set in a more sensitive area like my upper abdomen. I don't like using antibiotics unless I actually need to so I rarely put Neosporin on my sites.

If my cannula fills with blood as soon as I insert it I will pull it right away. That's only happened to me once or twice in 6+ years. Every so often, after the set has been in awhile, I notice a little diluted blood in the cannula or the end of the tubing. I ignore that, my next bolus flushes it out. I have not had any problems with sets like that, but I was afraid to use the ones where the cannula filled up with dark blood as soon as I put it in,

If you're not using some kind of prep wipe on your akin you might want to try that.

--------------------
--
Liz
Type 1 4/27/87
Minimed Revel 723 + CGMS

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2014 - 03:50 PM