IPB

Welcome to Insulin Pump Forums!

You are currently viewing this forum as a Guest, which gives you limited access to many areas of the message board. By joining our free community you will become a part of a wonderful world filled with information and support for all pumpers, from people considering or just starting the pump to veterans who've been using them for years! And when you become a member, you can access all of the fantastic features available on this board, like: replying to posts and contributing your opinion in polls; uploading and viewing pictures and files; communicating with others via Private Messaging (PM); accessing the exclusive forums available only to members; contests and lots more!

Best of all, membership is free and joining takes only a few minutes! And as an added bonus, this introduction message will go away when you view the forums as a member! So c'mon, stop lurking and become a member of the friendliest pump support forum on the web!

Join the Insulin Pump Forums Today!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Infusion set & skin irritation
Evona
post Sep 22 2011, 10:04 PM
Post #1

IPF Pundit

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,436
My Pump: Medtronic Revel 723

I have the Medtronic Revel 723 and I use either the Silhouette or the Sure-T infusion sets. Basically I don't have much trouble with insertion or with the set staying put. Where my difficulty comes is when I remove the set. I'm careful as my skin seems to be really touchy about tape of any kind. After I remove the set I get these spectacular bruises that are very worthy of a little bit of sympathy if anyone saw them.

My question is does anyone have a suggestion what I could use on my skin after removing the set? You would think that someone had beat me up, but they haven't. Is this what happens to 'older people' - their skin gets really sensitive?

--------------------
Type 1 Dx 4-21-2003
Medtronic 723, 8-21-2010
Dexcom CGMS. 9-2007 - self funded
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
calvic
post Sep 22 2011, 10:12 PM
Post #2

IPF Rookie

Member No.: 2,722
My Pump: mm 522

I sure think it is an age thing. I no my skin has got real thin and I get contact dematitus, dry skin et al.
I'm an aircraft mechanic and my hands have taken a beating but never bothered me so much as in the last few years!

+Quote Post
Liz
post Sep 22 2011, 10:26 PM
Post #3

IPF Addict

Member No.: 1,173
My Pump: Minimed Revel

QUOTE(Evona @ Sep 22 2011, 06:04 PM) *
I have the Medtronic Revel 723 and I use either the Silhouette or the Sure-T infusion sets. Basically I don't have much trouble with insertion or with the set staying put. Where my difficulty comes is when I remove the set. I'm careful as my skin seems to be really touchy about tape of any kind. After I remove the set I get these spectacular bruises that are very worthy of a little bit of sympathy if anyone saw them.

My question is does anyone have a suggestion what I could use on my skin after removing the set? You would think that someone had beat me up, but they haven't. Is this what happens to 'older people' - their skin gets really sensitive?

There are adhesive removers out there. You'd soak the infusion set adhesive with the remover for a minute and it should be easier to peel off. The only one I know the name of is Detachol, but I'm sure there are other similar products out there.

I don't get bruises from the sets but I know a number of older people whose skin will bruise from things you'd never think of. My mother is always covered in bruises and sometimes they look horrifying, but were actually the result of something minor.

--------------------
--
Liz
Type 1 4/27/87
Minimed Revel 723 + CGMS

+Quote Post
JohnG
post Sep 22 2011, 11:49 PM
Post #4

IPF Addict

Member No.: 1,726
My Pump: Paradigm 723/CGMS

I use UNI-SOLVE #402300 (Smith&Nephew). My skin is very sensitive and sometimes the adhesive will remove a layer.
It can also help to take a hot shower before removing the infusion set.

[attachment=306:photo_9.JPG]

--------------------
John
T1-LADA 1988
Paradigm-530G/CGMS

+Quote Post
Evona
post Sep 23 2011, 01:39 PM
Post #5

IPF Pundit

I will look for some of these 'removers' and try them. It is way better than removing a layer of skin every two days, which doesn't feel so great. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

--------------------
Type 1 Dx 4-21-2003
Medtronic 723, 8-21-2010

+Quote Post
JohnG
post Sep 23 2011, 02:10 PM
Post #6

IPF Addict

Member No.: 1,726
My Pump: Paradigm 723/CGMS

QUOTE(Evona @ Sep 23 2011, 08:39 AM) *
I will look for some of these 'removers' and try them. It is way better than removing a layer of skin every two days, which doesn't feel so great. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/sad.gif)

I also forgot to mention that I always use skin prep under the infusion set...If I do not use a skin prep the adhesive causes friction burns.

http://www.americandiabeteswholesale.com/p...-wipes_1175.htm

--------------------
John
T1-LADA 1988
Paradigm-530G/CGMS

+Quote Post
Evona
post Sep 23 2011, 04:53 PM
Post #7

IPF Pundit

JohnG - I'm learning another new thing from this forum. I tried the skin prep once or twice, but didn't know you were supposed to let it dry first.

Calvic - My husband, who isn't diabetic, is a machinist and constantly has his hands in and out of solvent which is hard on the skin. Before he goes to bed each evening he applies a product called "Bag Balm" to his hands. It is a bit greasy unless you work it in well. He says it helps him a lot. We found it in our local Walgreen's drug store. Sometimes you can find it in a farm supply store too as it is often used by farmers whose hands are also exposed to the elements all day long.

--------------------
Type 1 Dx 4-21-2003
Medtronic 723, 8-21-2010

+Quote Post
calvic
post Sep 30 2011, 05:02 PM
Post #8

IPF Rookie

Member No.: 2,722
My Pump: mm 522

I've heard of Bag Balm, I'll give it a try. I'm retiring at years end so hands may get a break !!! Yea..... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/Celebrate 2.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 1st October 2014 - 05:55 AM