IPB

Welcome to Insulin Pump Forums!

You are currently viewing this forum as a Guest, which gives you limited access to many areas of the message board. By joining our free community you will become a part of a wonderful world filled with information and support for all pumpers, from people considering or just starting the pump to veterans who've been using them for years! And when you become a member, you can access all of the fantastic features available on this board, like: replying to posts and contributing your opinion in polls; uploading and viewing pictures and files; communicating with others via Private Messaging (PM); accessing the exclusive forums available only to members; contests and lots more!

Best of all, membership is free and joining takes only a few minutes! And as an added bonus, this introduction message will go away when you view the forums as a member! So c'mon, stop lurking and become a member of the friendliest pump support forum on the web!

Join the Insulin Pump Forums Today!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> beating my old sensor record, 35 days and counting...
Liz
post Oct 11 2011, 03:00 AM
Post #1

IPF Addict

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,173
My Pump: Minimed Revel

Two years ago (I think) I had a sensor that worked really well and lasted 34 days. It would have kept going but I accidentally pulled it out when changing the transmitter. My current sensor is on day 35 so I've beaten my old record. The site feels fine. no pain, redness, itching etc. I know people have gone longer than this with a Minimed sensor but I have no idea what the record it. My calibration factor is still in the single digits so I'm hoping I'll get another week out of it.

The only bad thing about this sensor is I have it a little too far to the outer side of my thigh and if I roll over and sleep on it, I get false lows. This morning when I woke up I scrolled back through the graph and saw my readings had dropped. Right before it got to "Under 40", I saw that it said Sensor Error. It didn't stay in the Under 40 range for long, I guess I shifted position. The sensor continued working and the readings went back up so that Sensor Error obviously wasn't fatal.

--------------------
--
Liz
Type 1 4/27/87
Minimed Revel 723 + CGMS
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
gigem99
post Oct 13 2011, 02:21 PM
Post #2

Diabetical Pundit

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 857
My Pump: mm 522

I'm really aggravated. I can almost always get at least 2 weeks out of a sensor, but I just had to insert a new one when the one I have in now is only 10 days old! I don't know what the heck is going on, but I am certainly not happy about it.

Fortunately, I have almost 2 boxes of sensors, so I'm really not too worried about it. All those senors are expired though, so if I have a problem, I can't call the MM helpline. I don't even remember when the last time I had to do that, though, so it's no big deal.

I'm just upset I only got this long out of this sensor. It's been driving me nuts, so I'll be glad to get this new sensor going (with better readings).

Tom

--------------------
Tom
Forum moderator
LADA - dx'd 1985 at age 31 - treated as type 2
Insulin therapy in 1987
mm 522 since Aug. 2007, cgms since Nov. 2007

+Quote Post
JohnG
post Oct 13 2011, 03:06 PM
Post #3

IPF Addict

Member No.: 1,726
My Pump: Paradigm 723/CGMS

QUOTE(gigem99 @ Oct 13 2011, 09:21 AM) *
I don't know what the heck is going on, but I am certainly not happy about it.

I'm just upset I only got this long out of this sensor. It's been driving me nuts, so I'll be glad to get this new sensor going (with better readings).

Tom

Our body is just doing what it is suppose to do...it seals off the wound channel and starts healing up around the sensor wire...darn it!!!!
Maybe one day they will be able to apply a chemical that would suppress this response for so many days...the sensor would then
a consistent lifespan

--------------------
John
T1-LADA 1988
Paradigm-530G/CGMS

+Quote Post
Liz
post Oct 13 2011, 04:25 PM
Post #4

IPF Addict

I think the site has a lot to do with it. In one box of sensors I can have one that lasts only 4 days and one that lasts 23 days and the rest are all in between. 30+ days is definitely not the norm for me. I started this sensor on September 6th and I've been replacing the transmitter every Monday evening when I get home from work, and then turning it back on before bed. This is now day 38 for this sensor. I still have a good isig/calibration factor. The only bad thing is the flase low readings I get almost every night because I always end up moving in my sleep and laying on the sensor. I've pretty much set the Alert Silence function on for low every night. Not that I'll even hear the alarm if it goes off, but it saves my battery from alarming constantly & vibrating for hours on end every night.

I really, really wish that if the low alarm goes off and it's not cleared, that it would clear itself once your BG goes up above your low target. Same for highs. Some mornings when I wake up and have forgotten to silence the alarms I'll have a bunch to clear, for lows & highs and rise rates, when I check my pump.

--------------------
--
Liz
Type 1 4/27/87
Minimed Revel 723 + CGMS

+Quote Post
JohnG
post Oct 13 2011, 06:42 PM
Post #5

IPF Addict

QUOTE(Liz @ Oct 13 2011, 11:25 AM) *
I really, really wish that if the low alarm goes off and it's not cleared, that it would clear itself once your BG goes up above your low target. Same for highs. Some mornings when I wake up and have forgotten to silence the alarms I'll have a bunch to clear, for lows & highs and rise rates, when I check my pump.

I have the same problem my pump alarm goes off all night because I cannot hear it even when I sleep with my HA's on. My wife has had her fill
and if we sleep together (50% maybe) I'm instructed to silence my CGM alerts.

MM is trying to get a bead side monitor through FDA that works similar to a baby monitor. My local MM rep says they have been working on
it for over a year but no one knows when the FDA will approve it. She said the remote also displays the CGM graph and data so someone
can see it in a different room.

--------------------
John
T1-LADA 1988
Paradigm-530G/CGMS

+Quote Post
Mike G
post Oct 13 2011, 07:04 PM
Post #6

IPF Regular

Member No.: 2,539
My Pump: Revel 523 w/CGM

QUOTE(Liz @ Oct 13 2011, 12:25 PM) *
I think the site has a lot to do with it. In one box of sensors I can have one that lasts only 4 days and one that lasts 23 days and the rest are all in between. 30+ days is definitely not the norm for me. I started this sensor on September 6th and I've been replacing the transmitter every Monday evening when I get home from work, and then turning it back on before bed. This is now day 38 for this sensor. I still have a good isig/calibration factor. The only bad thing is the flase low readings I get almost every night because I always end up moving in my sleep and laying on the sensor. I've pretty much set the Alert Silence function on for low every night. Not that I'll even hear the alarm if it goes off, but it saves my battery from alarming constantly & vibrating for hours on end every night.

I think it must be genetic as well - I have never been able to go more than 7-8 days - plus I get nervous expecting the site to fail - so I end up being less patient with strange results. God bless you that you can go that long - but infections, and false readings keep me from going there.

+Quote Post
Liz
post Oct 13 2011, 07:29 PM
Post #7

IPF Addict

QUOTE(Mike G @ Oct 13 2011, 03:04 PM) *
I think it must be genetic as well - I have never been able to go more than 7-8 days - plus I get nervous expecting the site to fail - so I end up being less patient with strange results. God bless you that you can go that long - but infections, and false readings keep me from going there.

It's probably the same reason why some people can't get the CGMS to work no matter what they do. It seems like some bodies are better able to handle it than others. I'd say an average sensor for me is 12 days. I've never had an infection and when I removed my sensor that lasted 34 days the site looked very good. That one was in my arm and my current sensor is in my leg. I always change my sensor when the readings are no longer accurate. For me, that also involves the isig dropping very low, which means the sensor readings are also very low. Calibrating doesn't help and neither does turning the sensor off and restarting it. I know it's dead so I pull it and start a new one.

QUOTE(JohnG @ Oct 13 2011, 02:42 PM) *
MM is trying to get a bead side monitor through FDA that works similar to a baby monitor. My local MM rep says they have been working on
it for over a year but no one knows when the FDA will approve it. She said the remote also displays the CGM graph and data so someone
can see it in a different room.

I would love a bedside monitor! I vaguely remember reading something about that several years ago. Since it should only be acting as a monitor I don't see why the FDA would hold it up for so long. Didn't Ford make a car with a CGMS monitor built into the dashboard?

--------------------
--
Liz
Type 1 4/27/87
Minimed Revel 723 + CGMS

+Quote Post
aggie168
post Oct 13 2011, 11:49 PM
Post #8

IPF Regular

Member No.: 2,283
My Pump: MM 530G w/Enlite

I have a curious question. A little background first. For me sensor usually last 7 to 12 days. 7 to 9 days is more typical. Most of the time, the ISIG is still good. The ratio (or what you guys call the calibration factor) is still within range. What prompt me to change is it lost its "dynamic" to track when my BG goes high after each meal. I do not have a better word for it.

What I am trying to describe is if my BG is steady and is over the evening or in between meals, that number is good. Let say for example a reading of BG=80. When I have a normal meal and the BG climbs, the sensor will not track. It may show 140 when it should be 180. Then a few hours later, when the insulin and digestion brings down the BG back to say 90, the graph and the real BG will match again. Hence, I use the word "dynamic" loss.

The side effect is for someone that eats low carbs and the BG is mostly "flat", I have a feeling that my sensor life can stretch longer than the 7 to 9 days. But for someone like me that eat a fair amount of carbs and the number will go up after each meal, it does not work anymore.

I guess we are all build differently and that is also why they are only good for 3 days (7 days in other part of the world) officially.

Just my impression and comments are welcome...

--------------------
=================================
DX 02.2002 / MiniMed 530G (751) with CGMS
Novolog / Aspirin-81 / Lipitor-10 / Losartan-50

+Quote Post
Liz
post Oct 14 2011, 01:50 AM
Post #9

IPF Addict

QUOTE(aggie168 @ Oct 13 2011, 07:49 PM) *
I have a curious question. A little background first. For me sensor usually last 7 to 12 days. 7 to 9 days is more typical. Most of the time, the ISIG is still good. The ratio (or what you guys call the calibration factor) is still within range. What prompt me to change is it lost its "dynamic" to track when my BG goes high after each meal. I do not have a better word for it.

What I am trying to describe is if my BG is steady and is over the evening or in between meals, that number is good. Let say for example a reading of BG=80. When I have a normal meal and the BG climbs, the sensor will not track. It may show 140 when it should be 180. Then a few hours later, when the insulin and digestion brings down the BG back to say 90, the graph and the real BG will match again. Hence, I use the word "dynamic" loss.

I have this problem at times but I don't think it's a problem with any individual sensors. My sensors have the hardest time catching highs after dinner because I am generally very inactive once I get home. There's not a whole lot of room to do anything in my apartment and I tend to just sit at the computer or watching TV/DVDs or reading. I usually don't see this happen after breakfast or lunch. I know I should probably remember to massage the area around the sensor but I never do. I also don't tend to drink much water (or anything else) with dinner because I'll have to wake up three times during the night to pee if I do. After dinner, I check my pump frequently and if I see it starting to creep up after the two hour mark I test and correct if needed. I also see this problem overnight which is why I have my high alert set at a fairly low number. That has been true ever since I started the CGMS 3+ years ago so I know it's not a sensor issue.

--------------------
--
Liz
Type 1 4/27/87
Minimed Revel 723 + CGMS

+Quote Post
JohnG
post Oct 14 2011, 01:54 AM
Post #10

IPF Addict

QUOTE(aggie168 @ Oct 13 2011, 06:49 PM) *

The side effect is for someone that eats low carbs and the BG is mostly "flat", I have a feeling that my sensor life can stretch longer than the 7 to 9 days. But for someone like me that eat a fair amount of carbs and the number will go up after each meal, it does not work anymore.

I guess we are all build differently and that is also why they are only good for 3 days (7 days in other part of the world) officially.

Just my impression and comments are welcome...

I experience what some call flat lining after 5 or 6 days on most of my sensors, they will not track my BG if I have a rapid spike
in ether direction. I think this happens because the wound channel has started to heal and fluid exchange around the sensor is restricted.
I have the same problem with infusion sets, my body just starts to heal up around the cannula on the third day and I can experience
set fade.

Example: My BG can spike from 100 to 200 in about 45 min and the sensor just stays around 100 for 1 1/2 hours before it starts to climb
but if I wait long enough it will eventually catch up and it does the same thing on it's way back to 100.

I eat a low carb, high protein, high fat diet (not animal fat) so my BG does not spike under normal conditions so a slow responding
sensor still works good...but about one day a week I eat pasta or rice and my sensor almost never keeps up with the high spike.

--------------------
John
T1-LADA 1988
Paradigm-530G/CGMS

+Quote Post
aggie168
post Oct 14 2011, 03:14 AM
Post #11

IPF Regular

QUOTE(JohnG @ Oct 13 2011, 08:54 PM) *
I experience what some call flat lining after 5 or 6 days on most of my sensors, they will not track my BG if I have a rapid spike in ether direction.

Ok, that makes me feel better. I am not going crazy. I am happy and OK with my 7+ days of sensor life. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

--------------------

+Quote Post
JohnG
post Oct 14 2011, 01:34 PM
Post #12

IPF Addict

QUOTE(aggie168 @ Oct 13 2011, 10:14 PM) *
Ok, that makes me feel better. I am not going crazy. I am happy and OK with my 7+ days of sensor life. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

When I first started using the CGMS I tried to wear them until they failed and it always happened when I
did not have time to deal with it , I have been changing them out every Friday for 3 years and this seems
to be the best option for me. On Fridays I will insert a new sensor some time after lunch and before I go to
bead, my goal is to do the first cal 5 − 10 hours after insertion and have a good sensor on Saturday morning
the weekends are when my activity is unpredictable and I experience most of my Hypos. I will start doing
some kind of activity gardening, working in the garage, wash my truck, and I will forget to start a temp basal
unfortunately I cannot walk around the block without going low...

--------------------
John
T1-LADA 1988
Paradigm-530G/CGMS

+Quote Post
aggie168
post Oct 15 2011, 12:15 AM
Post #13

IPF Regular

QUOTE(JohnG @ Oct 14 2011, 08:34 AM) *
When I first started using the CGMS I tried to wear them until they failed and it always happened when I did not have time to deal with it , I have been changing them out every Friday for 3 years and this seems to be the best option for me.

I have think of that before. With insurance, I am still responsible for 20% of it. So I tend to drag it a little longer. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

--------------------

+Quote Post
itsofishel
post Oct 16 2011, 04:54 AM
Post #14

IPF Rookie

Member No.: 3,642
My Pump: Paradigm 723

35 days and this is a great thing for you as a diabetic? You must be a very young diabetic, hence the somewhat normal body reaction to fend off anything not from your body in the first place. I'm lucky to keep mine in for 3 days. After that I fight off infection. This too, even with the tightest control will happen to you the older you get with diabetes. The good news for you to look forward too, is a well written letter from my Endo gets all my sensors paid for from your ins company, me being a brittle type one. I have no idea just how on earth you manage to keep that in so long, without bumping, etc amazing and great work.

+Quote Post
gigem99
post Oct 16 2011, 03:13 PM
Post #15

Diabetical Pundit

QUOTE(itsofishel @ Oct 15 2011, 10:54 PM) *
35 days and this is a great thing for you as a diabetic? You must be a very young diabetic, hence the somewhat normal body reaction to fend off anything not from your body in the first place. I'm lucky to keep mine in for 3 days. After that I fight off infection. ....

You are the first I've heard of that only leaves them in for 3 days. I typically get at least 2 weeks out of each sensor, and have never had a hint of an infection. I am not a young diabetic (nor is Liz, for that matter).

Infusion sets are a different matter. I accidentally left one in for over 5 days and developed a bit of redness that I treated with neosporin. Since it is actually infusing insulin, the risk of infection is far higher than that of the sensor (that is just there).

There are many experienced CGM users here - and again, you are the first I've ever heard of that can only leave them in for 3 days. I'm amazed. I think, in fact, you may be the first I've heard of on all the diabetes websites I visit.

Tom

--------------------
Tom
Forum moderator
Insulin therapy in 1987

+Quote Post
Arlene S.
post Oct 16 2011, 04:21 PM
Post #16

IPF Addict

Member No.: 553
My Pump: Paradigm Revel

QUOTE(itsofishel @ Oct 16 2011, 12:54 AM) *
35 days and this is a great thing for you as a diabetic? You must be a very young diabetic, hence the somewhat normal body reaction to fend off anything not from your body in the first place. I'm lucky to keep mine in for 3 days. After that I fight off infection. This too, even with the tightest control will happen to you the older you get with diabetes. The good news for you to look forward too, is a well written letter from my Endo gets all my sensors paid for from your ins company, me being a brittle type one. I have no idea just how on earth you manage to keep that in so long, without bumping, etc amazing and great work.

I'm a very old Type 1 diabetic and I generally keep mine (even the expired sensors) in for a week but I have kept them in longer.

--------------------
Arlene S.
Type 1
Pumping with Minimed since 1993
CGMS since July 2006
Revel since March, 2010

+Quote Post
gigem99
post Oct 16 2011, 05:20 PM
Post #17

Diabetical Pundit

QUOTE(aggie168 @ Oct 13 2011, 05:49 PM) *
... The ratio (or what you guys call the calibration factor) ...

I meant to mention: "Calibration factor" is not just what "we" call it: It is MM's term (that you almost have to pull teeth out of them to get them to talk about it).

It is, IMHO, critical to making the sensors work correctly. I still can't understand MM's reluctance to train us about it. We have obviously talked about it at length on this forum.

Tom

--------------------
Tom
Forum moderator
Insulin therapy in 1987

+Quote Post
itsofishel
post Oct 16 2011, 05:39 PM
Post #18

IPF Rookie

Member No.: 3,642
My Pump: Paradigm 723

QUOTE(gigem99 @ Oct 16 2011, 11:13 AM) *
You are the first I've heard of that only leaves them in for 3 days. I typically get at least 2 weeks out of each sensor, and have never had a hint of an infection. I am not a young diabetic (nor is Liz, for that matter).

Infusion sets are a different matter. I accidentally left one in for over 5 days and developed a bit of redness that I treated with neosporin. Since it is actually infusing insulin, the risk of infection is far higher than that of the sensor (that is just there).

There are many experienced CGM users here - and again, you are the first I've ever heard of that can only leave them in for 3 days. I'm amazed. I think, in fact, you may be the first I've heard of on all the diabetes websites I visit.

Tom

Hey Tom,

Thank you for your response. The interesting thing about what you and others are saying about the sensors is that " for example" when I started using them, I was told that three days is the length of time allowed and even the pump it is links too would back me up on that. I'm sure you and others have found ways to get around this small obstacle when the pump says "Sensor Ends", or whatever it says at the point when I need to remove and you and others reboot the system to make it think its a new sensor. Interesting and I'm the only one that follows these steps? Of course I follow them only because of possible infection. I read on this forum that most diabetics follow strict regiments with diet control, etc yet run wild with leaving a foreign body in your already compromised immune system.

As for infusion sets. With the amount of insulin I take pure day, three days is all I can get out of my 3.0 L reservoir.

+Quote Post
gigem99
post Oct 16 2011, 07:17 PM
Post #19

Diabetical Pundit

QUOTE(itsofishel @ Oct 16 2011, 11:39 AM) *
... The interesting thing about what you and others are saying about the sensors is that " for example" when I started using them, I was told that three days is the length of time allowed and even the pump it is links too would back me up on that. I'm sure you and others have found ways to get around this small obstacle when the pump says "Sensor Ends", or whatever it says at the point when I need to remove and you and others reboot the system to make it think its a new sensor. Interesting and I'm the only one that follows these steps? ....

This is very interesting. When I was trained on my CGM, I remember the MM trainer asking me if I wanted to learn how to make the sensor extend beyond 3 days. She then explained that at the end of the 3 days (or shortly before), go to "Sensor" ; "Sensor Start"; "New Sensor", and within 5 minutes, it will prompt you to "Meter BG Now".

That's exactly what I just now did (sensor age = 2 days 20 hours). Since the MM trainer told me about this, there appears to be at least a tacit understanding at MM that the sensors can be extended beyond 3 days. And yes, I really believe you are the only one that "follows these steps" (changing sensor every 3 days). I'm not sure, but I think the Enlite sensors that are available in Europe can last up to 7 days.

With these (here in US & Canada), at the end of 7 days, the system will read 'Weak Signal' and the xmitter must be disconnected and re-charged. I do this on a regular basis, and again, I have never seen any sign of infection at the sensor site.

Like others here, I used to change them every 7 days...my Sunday ritual, but since I am currently uninsured, I am making them last as long as I can. I think I may be able to get at least 3 weeks out of this one.

Tom

--------------------
Tom
Forum moderator
Insulin therapy in 1987

+Quote Post
Aaron
post Oct 16 2011, 08:38 PM
Post #20

Senior Moderator

Group: Senior Moderator
Member No.: 15
My Pump: Paradigm VEO with CGMS

QUOTE(itsofishel @ Oct 16 2011, 01:39 PM) *
Thank you for your response. The interesting thing about what you and others are saying about the sensors is that " for example" when I started using them, I was told that three days is the length of time allowed and even the pump it is links too would back me up on that. I'm sure you and others have found ways to get around this small obstacle when the pump says "Sensor Ends", or whatever it says at the point when I need to remove and you and others reboot the system to make it think its a new sensor. Interesting and I'm the only one that follows these steps? Of course I follow them only because of possible infection. I read on this forum that most diabetics follow strict regiments with diet control, etc yet run wild with leaving a foreign body in your already compromised immune system.

For what it's worth, the sensors are approved for 6 day use in Canada (the VEO has the sensor end after 6 days). The sensors are the same ones that you use in the US. The only difference is that Health Canada has approved them for 6 day use.

--------------------
Aaron
Senior Moderator

Type 1 34 years and counting
Pumping with MM since 2000
Paradigm VEO
CGMS since July 2006

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2014 - 10:34 AM