IPB

Welcome to Insulin Pump Forums!

You are currently viewing this forum as a Guest, which gives you limited access to many areas of the message board. By joining our free community you will become a part of a wonderful world filled with information and support for all pumpers, from people considering or just starting the pump to veterans who've been using them for years! And when you become a member, you can access all of the fantastic features available on this board, like: replying to posts and contributing your opinion in polls; uploading and viewing pictures and files; communicating with others via Private Messaging (PM); accessing the exclusive forums available only to members; contests and lots more!

Best of all, membership is free and joining takes only a few minutes! And as an added bonus, this introduction message will go away when you view the forums as a member! So c'mon, stop lurking and become a member of the friendliest pump support forum on the web!

Join the Insulin Pump Forums Today!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I Had A Bleeder, bleeding sites
Bode
post Jan 21 2012, 09:20 PM
Post #1

IPF Rookie

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,882
My Pump: Medtronic Revel 723

I change my set in an unusual way. To save time, I set my pump up with a new reservoir, load everything and when I get to the part where I'm supposed to apply the infusion set I take my shower. When I got to the bathroom and realized that my previous site was still there I casually pulled it off. I was immediately shocked when the spot where the cannula went in began to bleed profusely. We're talking about a LOT of blood! It scared the doo-doo out of me! I immediately applied pressure with a folded piece of toilet paper and waited for it to stop. It took ten minutes. I was covered in blood and totally freaked out! Has this happened to anyone else?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Linda B
post Jan 22 2012, 01:10 AM
Post #2

IPF Addict

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 30
My Pump: MM 530g with CGMS

QUOTE(Bode @ Jan 21 2012, 04:20 PM) *
I change my set in an unusual way. To save time, I set my pump up with a new reservoir, load everything and when I get to the part where I'm supposed to apply the infusion set I take my shower. When I got to the bathroom and realized that my previous site was still there I casually pulled it off. I was immediately shocked when the spot where the cannula went in began to bleed profusely. We're talking about a LOT of blood! It scared the doo-doo out of me! I immediately applied pressure with a folded piece of toilet paper and waited for it to stop. It took ten minutes. I was covered in blood and totally freaked out! Has this happened to anyone else?

It happened to me once in a hotel room! Luckily I was in the bathroom and was able to clean it up. I ALWAYS hold a tissue in my hand when I pull a site out. I seldom need it, but when I do, I'm glad I don't have to reach for it. They always stop with pressure. I have never had one take 10 minutes to stop. I don't blame you for being scared.
It wasn't clear if you pulled it AFTER your shower. If you did, don't ever do that again. The heat of the shower expands blood vessels that are near to the skin. I always wait at least an hour after the shower to pull a site.

Linda B.

--------------------
Linda
Forum Moderator
Pumping with Minimed since 1995
Paradigm 530g w/ CGMS

+Quote Post
GA Hiker
post Jan 22 2012, 04:20 AM
Post #3

IPF Addict

Member No.: 844
My Pump: MM 530G / Enlite

It's happened to me a few times too, so bad that it ran down my leg, onto the bath mat, etc. Like Linda, I now never pull a set without a tissue in my hand, usually holding it right below the set. I've always changed sets in the bathroom and won't do it anywhere else.

+Quote Post
gigem99
post Jan 22 2012, 04:34 AM
Post #4

Diabetical Pundit

Member No.: 857
My Pump: mm 522

QUOTE(Linda B @ Jan 21 2012, 06:10 PM) *
.... I always wait at least an hour after the shower to pull a site.

Linda B.

I have never had a "gusher". I've read about a lot of folks that have had some "beauts". Blood gushing onto walls and stuff. I always just take mine out while I'm in the shower. I figure that if I do have one, it would be better there.

Tom

--------------------
Tom
Forum moderator
LADA - dx'd 1985 at age 31 - treated as type 2
Insulin therapy in 1987
mm 522 since Aug. 2007, cgms since Nov. 2007

+Quote Post
Packer Fan Dan
post Jan 22 2012, 04:53 AM
Post #5

IPF Regular

Member No.: 2,506
My Pump: Mini Med 723 Revel

I had this happen to me sveral weeks ago. luckily I was in the bathroom. It just kept bleeding real bad but I finally got it stopped. It was a little scary.Thanks, Dan

+Quote Post
JohnG
post Jan 22 2012, 12:25 PM
Post #6

IPF Addict

Member No.: 1,726
My Pump: Paradigm 723/CGMS

I have had several...I think what happens is the body starts rejecting the infusion site and blood collects and forms a pocket
around the cannula and when removed the blood "gushes out of the hole. I always keep something handy when removing
a infusion set, in my case there seems to be little warning other than my BG could be a little high. The first time it happen
I was unaware of the bleeding and my kitchen ended up looking like a crime scene.

--------------------
John
T1-LADA 1988
Paradigm-530G/CGMS

+Quote Post
Richc
post Jan 22 2012, 03:43 PM
Post #7

IPF Regular

Member No.: 3,308
My Pump: MM722

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.gif) Had a few. I just got finished changing my set a few minutes ago. I pulled the old set off and there was a large drop of blood oozing out but no gusher. But when you do, you have to be prepared.

+Quote Post
aggie168
post Jan 22 2012, 05:20 PM
Post #8

IPF Regular

Member No.: 2,283
My Pump: MM 530G w/Enlite

Yep, it happen to me a couple of times in the 2+ years pumping. Usually at the worst time. But, is that what Murphy's Law is about. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

--------------------
=================================
DX 02.2002 / MiniMed 530G (751) with CGMS
Humalog / Aspirin-81 / Lipitor-10 / Losartan-50

+Quote Post
Arlene S.
post Jan 22 2012, 06:44 PM
Post #9

IPF Addict

Member No.: 553
My Pump: t:slim & Dexcom G4

QUOTE(Bode @ Jan 21 2012, 04:20 PM) *

I've had many in more than 18 years of pumping. Most of the recent gushers came from pulling out a Sure-T too fast. The worst gusher I had was from a fingerstick done at my endo's office. I put pressure on it with a gauze pad and I thought it stopped and I went shopping and when I was in the dressing room I saw blood on the floor. I'm glad I didn't get any on the clothes I was trying on. I continued to put pressure on it for another ten minutes. When I get the gushers at my infusion or sensor sites I put pressure on them and then I tape them down to be on the safe side. The irony of this is that my PCP calls me "The Bloodless Wonder" because getting blood from my veins is not an easy task. I'm a phlebotomist's nightmare (or challenge),

--------------------
Arlene S.
Forum Moderator

Type 1
Pumped with Minimed 1993-2014
MM CGMS 2006-2014
Dexcom G4, June 2014
t:slim, June 2014

+Quote Post
Liz
post Jan 22 2012, 08:01 PM
Post #10

IPF Addict

Member No.: 1,173
My Pump: Minimed Revel

I've only had a couple of gushers, and several more sites that oozed a nice blob of blood but that was easily stopped. I currently change my sets in the evening, before dinner, because I'm always in a rush in the morning. I am worried about getting another gusher now but don't think about it much. When I changed sets in the morning I always removed my old set in the shower so cleaning up was not an issue. I'd just let it bleed out until it stopped. It's gross, but fascinating at the same time.

--------------------
--
Liz
Type 1 4/27/87
Minimed Revel 723 + CGMS

+Quote Post
Bode
post Jan 23 2012, 01:31 PM
Post #11

IPF Rookie

Member No.: 3,882
My Pump: Medtronic Revel 723

QUOTE(aggie168 @ Jan 22 2012, 12:20 PM) *
Yep, it happen to me a couple of times in the 2+ years pumping. Usually at the worst time. But, is that what Murphy's Law is about. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

LOL! My pump's name is Murphy! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/Wave.gif)

Thanks everyone. I now have a huge hematoma where the site was. I guess it just went into a small vein. Also, I take aspirin and that thins my blood. Still, there's nothing quite as scary as a runaway bleeder LOL!

+Quote Post
Alison M
post Apr 23 2012, 07:28 PM
Post #12

Member No.: 4,231
My Pump: Paradigm 712

Hi All, This has happened to me many times, usually after i have fired in a new site. The site feels very uncomfortable & I can see blood in the canula. This is when i pull it out & start again. I must be firing into small vains. Very scary. I now use shorter canulas.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th November 2014 - 09:26 AM