IPB

Welcome to Insulin Pump Forums!

You are currently viewing this forum as a Guest, which gives you limited access to many areas of the message board. By joining our free community you will become a part of a wonderful world filled with information and support for all pumpers, from people considering or just starting the pump to veterans who've been using them for years! And when you become a member, you can access all of the fantastic features available on this board, like: replying to posts and contributing your opinion in polls; uploading and viewing pictures and files; communicating with others via Private Messaging (PM); accessing the exclusive forums available only to members; contests and lots more!

Best of all, membership is free and joining takes only a few minutes! And as an added bonus, this introduction message will go away when you view the forums as a member! So c'mon, stop lurking and become a member of the friendliest pump support forum on the web!

Join the Insulin Pump Forums Today!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Injection Site Nodules and Bydureon
Asedai
post Oct 7 2012, 03:43 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,521

Hello everyone. I am new to the site but was wondering if anyone else is using Bydureon and having any problems.
I seem to be experiencing the problem of low bs's on Bydureon. I thought low's are not "supposed" to happen solely on this med. I also have a HUGE problem with nausea, upset stomach, vomitting with it as well. The truth is I believe that the nausea etc. is happening as the low's happen. When the nausea happens I do test and I am usually low so I think that is where the nausea is coming from <?>. On top of that I have been experiencing injection site nodules and itching...do they go away? Anything I can do to make them go away faster or to avoid them all together?
Any suggestions at all are appreciated! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/Confused.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Manxman
post Oct 7 2012, 04:25 PM
Post #2

IPF Pundit

Member No.: 2,787
My Pump: Medtronic

QUOTE(Asedai @ Oct 7 2012, 08:43 AM) *
Hello everyone. I am new to the site but was wondering if anyone else is using Bydureon and having any problems.
I seem to be experiencing the problem of low bs's on Bydureon. I thought low's are not "supposed" to happen solely on this med. I also have a HUGE problem with nausea, upset stomach, vomitting with it as well. The truth is I believe that the nausea etc. is happening as the low's happen. When the nausea happens I do test and I am usually low so I think that is where the nausea is coming from <?>. On top of that I have been experiencing injection site nodules and itching...do they go away? Anything I can do to make them go away faster or to avoid them all together?
Any suggestions at all are appreciated! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/Confused.gif)

Wow! All of your side effects seem to be very serious. Nausea and vomiting are not the usual symptoms of low BG's, and those two side effects would certainly LEAD to low BG's. I am not a doctor, but your symptoms sound like an allergic reaction to the Bydureon. That is a new drug in Diabetic treatment, and it may have side effects as you describe in some users. I suggest that you discuss these problems with your doctor ASAP!

+Quote Post
JohnG
post Oct 7 2012, 05:50 PM
Post #3

IPF Addict

Member No.: 1,726
My Pump: Paradigm 723/CGMS

I have no personal experience with Bydureon® or Byetta®

What your taking is BYETTA® in a long acting form and according to some it was nutritious for causing nausea and
people where usually started on a small dose until they overcame the side effects. I suspect that since it is a encapsulated
time release drug and takes a week to dissolve, there is going to be a big lump at the injection site in proportion to the dose.
Lantus® always left a lump under my skin for a day or longer.

Does the drug seem to help? Is the lump sore? How many units do you inject? Does it burn when injected? Do you pump insulin?...just curios...;-)

There are a couple of individuals on the forum that use or tried BYETTA® there are a lot of T2's getting pumps.

This post has been edited by JohnG: Oct 7 2012, 05:51 PM

--------------------
John
T1-LADA 1988
Paradigm-530G/CGMS

+Quote Post
Asedai
post Oct 8 2012, 01:06 AM
Post #4

QUOTE(Manxman @ Oct 7 2012, 12:25 PM) *
Wow! All of your side effects seem to be very serious. Nausea and vomiting are not the usual symptoms of low BG's, and those two side effects would certainly LEAD to low BG's. I am not a doctor, but your symptoms sound like an allergic reaction to the Bydureon. That is a new drug in Diabetic treatment, and it may have side effects as you describe in some users. I suggest that you discuss these problems with your doctor ASAP!

Yes, nausea etc. is one of the side effects just like Byetta. I had to stop taking the Byetta because I just didn't have time to be nauseaed and lay down. Same ingredients only longer lasting with Bydureon. I thought I would make it on the Bydureon but at about the 6 week mark the nausea etc. began. I have made an appointment to see my dr. on Tuesday.

+Quote Post
Asedai
post Oct 8 2012, 01:29 AM
Post #5

QUOTE(JohnG @ Oct 7 2012, 01:50 PM) *
I have no personal experience with Bydureon® or Byetta®

What your taking is BYETTA® in a long acting form and according to some it was nutritious for causing nausea and
people where usually started on a small dose until they overcame the side effects. I suspect that since it is a encapsulated
time release drug and takes a week to dissolve, there is going to be a big lump at the injection site in proportion to the dose.
Lantus® always left a lump under my skin for a day or longer.

Does the drug seem to help? Is the lump sore? How many units do you inject? Does it burn when injected? Do you pump insulin?...just curios...;-)

There are a couple of individuals on the forum that use or tried BYETTA® there are a lot of T2's getting pumps.

The Bydureon apparently is working very well for me....to well....I am guessing with the low's. Dr. took me off of my Metformin thinking that might help the low's. I haven't taken Metformin in about 3 weeks and I haven't taken the Bydureon for almost 2 weeks now and even as I am typing...I am still fighting to get my BS's up. How long does it take you guys to raise your BS's when you need to? Has been almost 1/2 hour and I am still fighting it. From what I understand, at about the 6 week mark your body reaches max amount of exenatine (spell?) and the injections once a week at that point keep it that amount of med's at that amount. That is when I started having problems with it.

The injection site nodules are not painful unless you keep pushing and touching them etc. and then at that point it's just a bit sore. If I leave them alone then they don't bother me. The Bydureon is premeasured amount that you mix and then inject 2 mg. It does burn a little bit but not to bad. The worst of it for me is the gauge/ size of the needle. It's like using a a fat safety pin! I guess it has to be that thick for the "gel" to get thru the needle. That gauge needle is what bothers me more than anything, and of course, the lumps, and now the low's. Will take a list full of questions to the dr. with me on Tuesday. I hate these low's....they make you feel horrible. Nausea is apparently how I feel when my BS's go low. Every time I get even a queasy feeling...I can take my BS and it will be low. At that point I am stuffing in some sugar. I need to find a good sugar source. I bought some of the little cans of soda since they are high in sugar. But even drinking those is hard to kep down when I get that nauseaous. Suggestions? I can't eat 4 or 5 or 6 or more of those glucose tablets. They make me even sicker. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/Sick.gif)

+Quote Post
JohnG
post Oct 8 2012, 03:09 AM
Post #6

IPF Addict

Member No.: 1,726
My Pump: Paradigm 723/CGMS

Do you use insulin?

--------------------
John
T1-LADA 1988
Paradigm-530G/CGMS

+Quote Post
timwho
post Oct 8 2012, 10:23 AM
Post #7

IPF Rookie

Member No.: 4,519
My Pump: animas

QUOTE(Asedai @ Oct 8 2012, 02:43 AM) *

+Quote Post
gigem99
post Oct 8 2012, 03:25 PM
Post #8

Diabetical Pundit

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 857
My Pump: mm 522

QUOTE(Asedai @ Oct 7 2012, 07:29 PM) *
.... I can't eat 4 or 5 or 6 or more of those glucose tablets. They make me even sicker. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/Sick.gif)

I refuse to eat the dern things. They're awful. I woke up this a.m. with a BG of 56 (shocked the heck out of me....I honestly thought my BG was high - didn't feel the low at all), and I just drank about 4 oz. of juice and ate a piece of toast. I bolused for the toast, but not for the juice.

Tom

--------------------
Tom
Forum moderator
LADA - dx'd 1985 at age 31 - treated as type 2
Insulin therapy in 1987
mm 522 since Aug. 2007, cgms since Nov. 2007

+Quote Post
Linda B
post Oct 8 2012, 04:19 PM
Post #9

IPF Addict

Member No.: 30
My Pump: MM 530g with CGMS

QUOTE(Asedai @ Oct 7 2012, 09:29 PM) *
Suggestions? I can't eat 4 or 5 or 6 or more of those glucose tablets. They make me even sicker. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/Sick.gif)

The trick to using the glucose tablets is to drink water with them. If you wash them down, it is easier to eat more of them. I can not swallow a second one without washing down the first. It feels like they leave a coating in my throat otherwise.

Supposedly there is benefit to using pure glucose instead of other forms of sugar.

Linda B.

--------------------
Linda
Forum Moderator
Pumping with Minimed since 1995
Paradigm 530g w/ CGMS

+Quote Post
gigem99
post Oct 8 2012, 04:31 PM
Post #10

Diabetical Pundit

Member No.: 857
My Pump: mm 522

QUOTE(Linda B @ Oct 8 2012, 10:19 AM) *
...Supposedly there is benefit to using pure glucose instead of other forms of sugar.

Linda B.

While I know this to be true, I simply cannot eat the dang tablets. I've got at least half a dozen tubes of them laying around .... and they have been for years. If I'm really, really low, I'll grab the tube of honey I keep on my nitestand. Juice is my main go-to thing. This morning when I tested at 56 and drank some juice, I came up to 104 in about 30 minutes. I can live with that.

Tom

--------------------
Tom
Forum moderator
LADA - dx'd 1985 at age 31 - treated as type 2
Insulin therapy in 1987
mm 522 since Aug. 2007, cgms since Nov. 2007

+Quote Post
Liz
post Oct 8 2012, 06:49 PM
Post #11

IPF Addict

Member No.: 1,173
My Pump: Minimed Revel

QUOTE(gigem99 @ Oct 8 2012, 12:31 PM) *
While I know this to be true, I simply cannot eat the dang tablets. I've got at least half a dozen tubes of them laying around .... and they have been for years. If I'm really, really low, I'll grab the tube of honey I keep on my nitestand. Juice is my main go-to thing. This morning when I tested at 56 and drank some juice, I came up to 104 in about 30 minutes. I can live with that.
Tom

I keep a jar of tablets by my bed and I also keep a couple of boxes of some sugary drink. I stopped buying juice boxes because for some reason, pure fruit juice does not seem to work for me when I have overnight lows. I used to use Capri Sun but now they have HFCS and I won't buy them anymore. I discovered that Newman's Own has boxes of iced tea and lemonade that work, have no HFCS and taste good. They're a little high in carbs (18g per box) but often I drink 1/2 - 2/3 of one and fall back to sleep if I wake during the night. I'll use the tablets only if I'm slightly low and need just one. I do use them most when I'm away from home/work because I always have a tube in my bag and it's faster and easier than looking for something to buy.

I tend to suck on them rather than chewing them. It helps a lot, but I still can't do more than 2 or 3 at a time.

--------------------
--
Liz
Type 1 4/27/87
Minimed Revel 723 + CGMS

+Quote Post
Asedai
post Oct 9 2012, 12:53 AM
Post #12

QUOTE(JohnG @ Oct 7 2012, 11:09 PM) *
Do you use insulin?

No...no insulin. I was on Metformin. Have tried Januvia which did nothing. Tried Byetta last year but made me sick. Struggling to use the Bydureon because I have really good results but still nausea. Trying to figure out how to beat that stomach queezy-ness.

+Quote Post
Linda B
post Oct 9 2012, 01:19 AM
Post #13

IPF Addict

Member No.: 30
My Pump: MM 530g with CGMS

QUOTE(Asedai @ Oct 8 2012, 08:53 PM) *
No...no insulin. I was on Metformin. Have tried Januvia which did nothing. Tried Byetta last year but made me sick. Struggling to use the Bydureon because I have really good results but still nausea. Trying to figure out how to beat that stomach queezy-ness.

I'm really curious why you joined this forum. We are a forum of people who use a pump to deliver our insulin.

You will probably have a much better response from a less specialized forum. I know Tu Diabetes is a forum for all people with diabetes. I believe the American Diabetes Association and DLife both have forums as well.

Linda B.

--------------------
Linda
Forum Moderator
Pumping with Minimed since 1995
Paradigm 530g w/ CGMS

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2014 - 06:19 AM