IPB

Welcome to Insulin Pump Forums!

You are currently viewing this forum as a Guest, which gives you limited access to many areas of the message board. By joining our free community you will become a part of a wonderful world filled with information and support for all pumpers, from people considering or just starting the pump to veterans who've been using them for years! And when you become a member, you can access all of the fantastic features available on this board, like: replying to posts and contributing your opinion in polls; uploading and viewing pictures and files; communicating with others via Private Messaging (PM); accessing the exclusive forums available only to members; contests and lots more!

Best of all, membership is free and joining takes only a few minutes! And as an added bonus, this introduction message will go away when you view the forums as a member! So c'mon, stop lurking and become a member of the friendliest pump support forum on the web!

Join the Insulin Pump Forums Today!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Air travel with the pump
Gordo118
post Jan 27 2013, 08:04 PM
Post #1

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,664
My Pump: Paradigm Veo 754/CGM

[size="4"][/size]
Has anyone had any problems with air travel with a pump on, we are heading thru the states to Mexico and I just would like to know what to expect in security areas
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Manxman
post Jan 27 2013, 08:20 PM
Post #2

IPF Pundit

Member No.: 2,787
My Pump: Medtronic

Use the forums "Search" function, and you will find lots of info. Also use the term "TSA" in your search.

+Quote Post
Bob2
post Jan 27 2013, 08:26 PM
Post #3

IPF Regular

Member No.: 3,785
My Pump: Minimed Revel 723

QUOTE(Gordo118 @ Jan 27 2013, 02:04 PM) *
[size="4"][/size]
Has anyone had any problems with air travel with a pump on, we are heading thru the states to Mexico and I just would like to know what to expect in security areas

Gordo,
If you are going by plane why didn't you book your travel nonstop to Mexico?

Any way it's a piece of cake, no problems at all. I travel to Mexico 2-3 times a month, Just inform security and immigration, carry your prescriptions and take plenty of supplies, you cannot get them in Mexico.

Canadian security is another matter for me, I get the third degree every time I travel to and from there. always takes me an extra 45-minutes getting into and out of Canada.

U.S. TSA depends on where you fly into and out of which airport show prescriptions and answer all their questions. You will proably get a pat down and a hand wipe checking for explosives.

By all means be cheerful and you will not have any problems,

When you get to your destination in Mexico the first thing you want to do is grab a Cervesa (even though it is a forbidden fruit to diabetics) 1 or 2 won't hurt you at least it doesn't hurt me. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/Dance.gif)

Bob

+Quote Post
Arlene S.
post Jan 27 2013, 09:27 PM
Post #4

IPF Addict

Member No.: 553
My Pump: t:slim & Dexcom G4

QUOTE(Gordo118 @ Jan 27 2013, 03:04 PM) *
[size="4"][/size]

Will you be leaving from a US airport. Situations change. I flew from our regional airport last May and was surprised to see a Full Body Scanner. I opt out and get a pat down. I will not subject my pump and transmitter to the scanner. I have not had any problem with that. I have been told by TSA agents that it's perfectly safe to go through the scanner. I explain that I've been told otherwise.

Check out THIS website for the latest information.

--------------------
Arlene S.
Type 1
Pumped with Minimed 1993-2014
MM CGMS 2006-2014
Dexcom G4, June 2014
t:slim, June 2014

+Quote Post
susanhs
post Feb 2 2013, 07:58 PM
Post #5

IPF Regular

Member No.: 3,186
My Pump: Paradigm Revel 523

I have never had problems until I flew from Detroit to Florida last fall. There was a scanner, which the TSA person informed me was not a full body scan, which I understood could de-program my pump,. so I went through and it made its circle around me ....
A few weeks later, I was having high blood sugars and could not get them down, so I called Medtronic and they thought that MAYBE the airport scanner had affected my motor, which can come on slowly after such an experience! I had also been in touch w/my endo doc and he said to just keep bolusing, so I was over 200 +++ for 10 days!!!

Whom do I believe?? I had Medtronic send me a new pump and have been fine, and really don't know what was going on w/me or my pump. This is my 3rd pump in 3 years, so I guess I can be glad I have a "newer" device, but don't know what to do when I fly again.

Normal xray does not affect it, so I believed.

+Quote Post
Arlene S.
post Feb 2 2013, 09:21 PM
Post #6

IPF Addict

Member No.: 553
My Pump: t:slim & Dexcom G4

QUOTE(susanhs @ Feb 2 2013, 02:58 PM) *
I have never had problems until I flew from Detroit to Florida last fall. There was a scanner, which the TSA person informed me was not a full body scan, which I understood could de-program my pump,. so I went through and it made its circle around me ....
A few weeks later, I was having high blood sugars and could not get them down, so I called Medtronic and they thought that MAYBE the airport scanner had affected my motor, which can come on slowly after such an experience! I had also been in touch w/my endo doc and he said to just keep bolusing, so I was over 200 +++ for 10 days!!!

Whom do I believe?? I had Medtronic send me a new pump and have been fine, and really don't know what was going on w/me or my pump. This is my 3rd pump in 3 years, so I guess I can be glad I have a "newer" device, but don't know what to do when I fly again.

Normal xray does not affect it, so I believed.

At Detroit I told the agent I wanted to opt out and get the patdown. They were very nice. The first agent said, "You don't have to go through. Just stand aside." He called for a pat-down agent and she grabbed my things and took me and my carry on over to another area. She told me I could have a private alcove but I said I was okay. She was very good and not intrusive. She did tell me that the scanner would not hurt my pump. I thanked her; I didn't want to argue with her. I wish the pump companies would make it clear to the TSA that it isn't perfectly okay to go through the scanner.

--------------------
Arlene S.
Type 1
Pumped with Minimed 1993-2014
MM CGMS 2006-2014
Dexcom G4, June 2014
t:slim, June 2014

+Quote Post
Linda B
post Feb 2 2013, 10:50 PM
Post #7

IPF Addict

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 30
My Pump: MM 530g with CGMS

QUOTE(susanhs @ Feb 2 2013, 02:58 PM) *
! I had also been in touch w/my endo doc and he said to just keep bolusing, so I was over 200 +++ for 10 days!!!

This is off the topic, but when I am running high, I need to OVERRIDE the bolus amount and take some extra, or increase my basal, or I never get back to normal. I hope your doctor has spoken to you about that. I could not stand to be over 200 for 10 days!

Linda B.

--------------------
Linda
Forum Moderator
Pumping with Minimed since 1995
Paradigm 530g w/ CGMS

+Quote Post
susanhs
post Feb 4 2013, 09:20 PM
Post #8

IPF Regular

Member No.: 3,186
My Pump: Paradigm Revel 523

QUOTE(Linda B @ Feb 2 2013, 05:50 PM) *
This is off the topic, but when I am running high, I need to OVERRIDE the bolus amount and take some extra, or increase my basal, or I never get back to normal. I hope your doctor has spoken to you about that. I could not stand to be over 200 for 10 days!

Linda B.

Linda, I did all that and still could not get it down! I really was not sick, so it made no sense! I felt like a truck hit me and just lay on the couch and tried to read, but I felt horrible. This made me pretty depressed.

+Quote Post
bkh
post Feb 5 2013, 04:55 PM
Post #9

IPF Regular

Member No.: 4,147
My Pump: Revel + Dexcom G4

Linda, I did all that and still could not get it down!

I think it was my CDE who said to me "If your BG is too high, you need more insulin." She is a Type 1 as am I, and for us it really is that simple. (Not easy, but simple.) When my BG is too high I just keep adding insulin until it starts coming down. Sometimes it takes much more insulin than I expected. And sometimes it means I've taken too much insulin by the time I get a response, but in that case I'll catch the falling BG with carbs (glucose if the BG is falling fast).

If my BG is too high, I need more insulin. It really is that simple.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

- Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th July 2014 - 02:57 AM