Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pump battery died with no warning
Insulin Pump Forums > Living with the Pump > Pump Specific Discussions > Minimed
Aaron
This afternoon, when I was doing a bolus, after checking my BG, I wanted to enter the bolus but my pump screen was blank. I quickly changed the battery and everything came back up normal. (My BG was 7.7 when I checked and the pump hadn't lost any settings, so I assume I caught it very quickly). However, there was no low battery alarm. I'm sure when I looked last time, there were still at least 2 bars in the battery icon.

I looked through the alarm history, and the last time I had a low battery alarm was August 14 - I know I changed the battery then.

Has this happened to anyone else - pump battery dying with no warning? Should I call Minimed?
karen
I think you should call! And keep a little closer eye on your pump (like I'm sure you are already)!
Gregg C.
QUOTE(Aaron @ Sep 6 2009, 02:04 PM) *
This afternoon, when I was doing a bolus, after checking my BG, I wanted to enter the bolus but my pump screen was blank. I quickly changed the battery and everything came back up normal. (My BG was 7.7 when I checked and the pump hadn't lost any settings, so I assume I caught it very quickly). However, there was no low battery alarm. I'm sure when I looked last time, there were still at least 2 bars in the battery icon.

I looked through the alarm history, and the last time I had a low battery alarm was August 14 - I know I changed the battery then.

Has this happened to anyone else - pump battery dying with no warning? Should I call Minimed?

I would call MM. I usually use my battery till it gives me a warning before changing. When it get down to one bar I carry a spare in my BG kit.
I have never had a battery go dead without an alarm (I use vibrate).
I have had it work with one bar for almost one week, that's why I wait for the alarm.
I have even had one bar, and checked it later to find two bars.
I use the back light all the time, so I usually get 2 1/2 to 3 weeks per battery.
Dave_
QUOTE(Aaron @ Sep 6 2009, 03:04 PM) *

You didn't use a Duracell did you??
Aaron
QUOTE(Dave_ @ Sep 6 2009, 07:51 PM) *
You didn't use a Duracell did you??

No. Energizer Max. It's the only battery I use in the pump.
Dave_
QUOTE(Aaron @ Sep 6 2009, 04:52 PM) *
No. Energizer Max. It's the only battery I use in the pump.

cool. i use Energizers exclusively but not the Max.
Liz
QUOTE(Dave_ @ Sep 6 2009, 08:09 PM) *
cool. i use Energizers exclusively but not the Max.

I think Energizer Max is the basic Energizer. That's what both of my 16 packs say and there are none that I've found that don't say Max. I know some are Lithium but I've never tried those.

I've never had my pump battery die without warning. I get the Low Battery alarm, and then the circle icon appears on the home screen until I change it. My batteries have been lasting an average of 12 days or so, using the CGMS and not hearing the alarms all night! Those unchecked alarms really drain the battery, especially since it will go into vibrate mode.
Dave_
QUOTE(Liz @ Sep 6 2009, 06:35 PM) *
I think Energizer Max is the basic Energizer. That's what both of my 16 packs say and there are none that I've found that don't say Max. I know some are Lithium but I've never tried those.

I've never had my pump battery die without warning. I get the Low Battery alarm, and then the circle icon appears on the home screen until I change it. My batteries have been lasting an average of 12 days or so, using the CGMS and not hearing the alarms all night! Those unchecked alarms really drain the battery, especially since it will go into vibrate mode.

You are right--I just looked at one of the blister packs that I hadn't tossed away the cardboard label from, and they are indeed "Max". I never noticed. The batteries are silver and black and the most ubiquitous batteries on the market besides Duracell Copper Tops.
Linda B
QUOTE(Aaron @ Sep 6 2009, 06:04 PM) *

I definitely would call Minimed. What if the problem is not in your battery measurement software but in your ALARM software? What if it is now unable to give any alarm?

I believe it is important for us to call MM anytime something does not operate correctly. If we don't they will never know about potential dangers.

Linda B.
Aaron
QUOTE(Linda B @ Sep 7 2009, 08:10 AM) *
I definitely would call Minimed. What if the problem is not in your battery measurement software but in your ALARM software? What if it is now unable to give any alarm?

Well, it did give me a high SG alarm today even though my BG was considerably lower than what the sensor thought it was (I've learned a lesson about starting a sensor before it is wet enough).

I will call MM tomorrow (Tuesday) which should improve my chances of getting Medtronic of Canada when I do call (I'm fairly sure the help line goes to the US on weekends and holidays).
Aaron
I know all of you were waiting with bated breath smile.gif - I called MM (Canada). Their response was monitor for now. If it happens a second time, they'll replace the pump. They also suggested cleaning the battery contacts the next time I change the battery.

And Dave_, yes they did ask me what kind of battery I was using. (They said only use the Energizer Max Alkaline battery (don't use lithium, titanium or rechargable batteries).
Beatrice
That made me look at my pump screen. Three bars, whew! My husband and I go round and round about buying the Energizer b's. He gets Duracell and says there is no difference. He's not bad about it, just grabs what is handy at the counter...willing to get Energizers if he remembers.

So, what are the finer points to this argument? I know the User Manual says Energizers, but doesn't say why, does it...? It isn't just a corporate deal?
Linda B
QUOTE(Beatrice @ Sep 10 2009, 12:48 AM) *
That made me look at my pump screen. Three bars, whew! My husband and I go round and round about buying the Energizer b's. He gets Duracell and says there is no difference. He's not bad about it, just grabs what is handy at the counter...willing to get Energizers if he remembers.

So, what are the finer points to this argument? I know the User Manual says Energizers, but doesn't say why, does it...? It isn't just a corporate deal?

Actually it is not just 'a corporate deal'. I have read many posts that say the Duracell does not last as long because of differences in the technology. So in the long run, they are not less expensive because you have to change them more often.

If Duracell's work for you, that's great, but most of us get much longer use from Energizers. I have also used Rayovac with no issues.

Linda B.
JohnG
There's a system on board to test the battery this system is set up to test the Energizer® battery (#03-2015) when first installed into the pump
and later make predictions on how much life is left in the battery. I have always used Duracell® battery's and was convinced that MM had cut
some kind of deal with Energizer® so I tried using Duracell® battery's and with the first one started having battery problems with my pump.
Sometimes I would look at my pump and the screen would be blank and the pump would just be dead when I called tech support the first
thing they asked was are you using a Energizer battery "I said No" they politely asked me if I was aware that the pump requires a specific battery
and I said "yes". It was at this point that I realized someone at tech support just got a little closer to winning the office pool for the week.

Looking back it was foolish for me to think MM had cut some kind of deal with Energizer® they simply needed to choose
a battery to fine tune there system and I'm just glad it's a common battery.

JohnG
Dave_
QUOTE(Beatrice @ Sep 9 2009, 09:48 PM) *

Don't know how your bubby can get away with using Duracells. They died on me without warning in less than a week. (I tried duracells (stupidly) about 4 times and had the same trouble,which tech support warned me about but I didn't believe them) Energizers last me right around 4 weeks every time. MM has always been adamant that we not use Duracells and I concur 1000%
Liz
I've always used Energizers based on what Minimed says and what my CDE told me when I first started pumping. Once I had to remove the battery right after I inserted it for some reason and the pump wouldn't even read it after that. Don't ever remove your battery unless you've got a new one to put in right away. You need a brand new battery, or at least that's my experience. I once mixed up a bunch of used/new batteries and had to try several before one took. Every once in awhile the pump tells me my battery is bad even when I know it's not, because I took it right of the package before inserting it. I just put those aside and use them in my transmitter charger or UltraSmart meter.
Beatrice
I appreciate the Energizer comments. I've been mostly reformed and will make sure I have them on hand, all the time. I don't need to borrow trouble...
Dave_
QUOTE(Beatrice @ Sep 12 2009, 09:48 PM) *
I appreciate the Energizer comments. I've been mostly reformed and will make sure I have them on hand, all the time. I don't need to borrow trouble...

best prices I've found are Target (when on sale), and Home Depot, in the 16-packs.
Tim
I too have had battery trouble with my pump. I have a 722. In fact I am currently on hold to speak with Minimed as I have been 'offline' from the pump for 4 hours! If you look inside the battery cap (the circular insert that screws into the pump) you will notice a metal piece that looks like a shoe horn. When this is properly in place it is bent upwards a bit to insure contact is made with the + portion of the battery. On mine this is no longer raised, mine is actually no longer connected at all! (in an effort to raise it so that my pump would recognize the new battery I tried to get underneath it and it snapped off OMG.gif
My guess Aaron is that your metal contact is no longer bent forward and that is why there would not be an alarm or low battery indicated on your screen, the battery may be fine but if the circuit is no longer a closed loop it does not matter. I would encourage you to ask about getting a replacement battery cap from Minimed now before you find yourself where I am. Minimed is sending me one and I will have it tomorrow by 10am but it's back to shots til then. The last 4 times I changed my battery I had trouble getting the pump to start back up. The screen was simply blank. I dug around inside and raised that piece and it worked fine until I had to change the pump again at which time it managed to bend back to straight! Good luck.
Dave_
QUOTE(Tim @ Sep 14 2009, 01:16 PM) *
I too have had battery trouble with my pump. I have a 722. In fact I am currently on hold to speak with Minimed as I have been 'offline' from the pump for 4 hours! If you look inside the battery cap (the circular insert that screws into the pump) you will notice a metal piece that looks like a shoe horn. When this is properly in place it is bent upwards a bit to insure contact is made with the + portion of the battery. On mine this is no longer raised, mine is actually no longer connected at all! (in an effort to raise it so that my pump would recognize the new battery I tried to get underneath it and it snapped off OMG.gif
My guess Aaron is that your metal contact is no longer bent forward and that is why there would not be an alarm or low battery indicated on your screen, the battery may be fine but if the circuit is no longer a closed loop it does not matter. I would encourage you to ask about getting a replacement battery cap from Minimed now before you find yourself where I am. Minimed is sending me one and I will have it tomorrow by 10am but it's back to shots til then. The last 4 times I changed my battery I had trouble getting the pump to start back up. The screen was simply blank. I dug around inside and raised that piece and it worked fine until I had to change the pump again at which time it managed to bend back to straight! Good luck.

Tim, I've had issues several times with my pump not restarting, following a battery replacement, and MM's response both times (or maybe it was 3 times) was not satisfactory, as far as I'm concerned. They did say however, that if it keeps happening to me, they would replace the pump (I've got a replacement now, but for cosmetic reasons). The only way to get my pump to restart was to remove/replace the battery. They take such complaints in stride, as if it's an expected fact of life with the Paradigms. Whatever, I don't like when it happens.
Tim
Since I did not want to take shots throughout the night I tried and was succesful at supergluing the metal clip to the plastic battery cap in such a way as to make a connection. To no avail, the screen was still blank. I was not giving up so I wrapped tin foil around the head of the battery and voila I am back in action. Celebrate 2.gif
Dave_
QUOTE(Tim @ Sep 14 2009, 02:36 PM) *
Since I did not want to take shots throughout the night I tried and was succesful at supergluing the metal clip to the plastic battery cap in such a way as to make a connection. To no avail, the screen was still blank. I was not giving up so I wrapped tin foil around the head of the battery and voila I am back in action. Celebrate 2.gif

Glad you got it working for the time being. I guess what duct tape can't fix, tin foil can!
Mike G
QUOTE(Dave_ @ Sep 14 2009, 03:24 PM) *
Tim, I've had issues several times with my pump not restarting, following a battery replacement, and MM's response both times (or maybe it was 3 times) was not satisfactory, as far as I'm concerned. They did say however, that if it keeps happening to me, they would replace the pump (I've got a replacement now, but for cosmetic reasons). The only way to get my pump to restart was to remove/replace the battery. They take such complaints in stride, as if it's an expected fact of life with the Paradigms. Whatever, I don't like when it happens.

This happened to me as well. Twice in four years. I was using Lithium batteries - they last forever - but I think they have a sharp and rapid death that does not allow the pump to warn you - especially if the lithium batteries have been sitting in an open pack for a while. I think best bet is to avoid them until and if MM redoes their algorithm to recognize the energy loss pattern for Lithium. It's a shame - cause they do last forever.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.