Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got the sample Solo pump today
Insulin Pump Forums > Living with the Pump > Pump Talk
Dave_
It's a bit largish, IMO, to be sleeping on and it's a DEFINITE bulge under my shirt and I'm a big dude!
Gordo
I had a Omni sample a while back. How does it compare in size?
Liz
I got mine a week or two ago. I no longer have the sample Pod bu the Solo did seem thinner. At the very least, it was a better shape. Still kind of big but seems like an improvement over the Pod. In case you're wondering, it is not worth trying to take apart. It will take a lot of effort and there's nothing inside, unlike the sample Pod which was chock full of electronics.
Dave_
QUOTE(Gordo @ Sep 8 2009, 07:13 PM) *
I had a Omni sample a while back. How does it compare in size?

I just installed it--from skin to top of unit is 9/16", which I consider about twice the thickness I'd like it to be.

2-3/8" long and just under 1.5" wide. Really shows up under a shirt!
karen
The solo is a tiny bit smaller than the pod. They are both smaller than the other pumps smile.gif
Ali
QUOTE(karen @ Sep 9 2009, 04:27 AM) *
The solo is a tiny bit smaller than the pod. They are both smaller than the other pumps smile.gif

You're correct Karen, but the issue I have is that none of the other pumps are stuck to my body in the same way. I can wear my pump on my belt, disconnect if I want to, move it to a comfy position to sleep etc. The only thing attached to my body is a small infusion set. With a solo/pod once its on, its on and can't be moved to fit in with whatever I'm wearing or how I'm sitting. If I'm going to be attached to something in that way, I'd like it to be much smaller than the current solo/pods.
Caraline
I've often wondered how these types of pump go on someone with a small frame. It also seems like a large area of skin to have occluded with tape. Does it get hot & itchy?
Dave_
QUOTE(Caraline @ Sep 9 2009, 02:46 AM) *
I've often wondered how these types of pump go on someone with a small frame. It also seems like a large area of skin to have occluded with tape. Does it get hot & itchy?

I'll let you know if it's hot/itchy later today when it is over 90 degrees here. It didn't bother me wearing it in bed last night but I've got it on my left side and I tend to sleep mostly on the right.
Liz
QUOTE(Caraline @ Sep 9 2009, 05:46 AM) *

I really am amazed at the people who wear the Pods and have no problems. I know little kids use them, and I guess most have them stuck on their upper butt. A lot of people seem to wear them exclusively on the backs of their arms and it does seem to be most out of the way there, but I'm wondering if they'll eventually end up with scar tissue from reusing the same places all the time.
karen
I've only worn the 'demo' ones, and found them to be okay and not really hot and itchy. I prefer the pump to be honest, I can move it where ever I wish to as it's not attached to me as Ali suggested. The pod and the solo are not any more taped down than a set though, I tape my sets and have not had any issues with doing so.
Gordo
Apparently you can get a free demo pump online at http://www.solo4you.com/default.aspx?page=...&pageType=0

I signed up for one today. Heck, if they're free I'll look at one. Anyone know when they will be available?
karen
I've already received not one but two! You can get a pod, too if you want to check them out.
Dave_
QUOTE(Gordo @ Sep 10 2009, 04:08 PM) *
Apparently you can get a free demo pump online at http://www.solo4you.com/default.aspx?page=...&pageType=0

I signed up for one today. Heck, if they're free I'll look at one. Anyone know when they will be available?

I used that link to get mine. Order it and it should come shortly.
telizas
How long ago did you order? I ordered one about 6 weeks ago and nada. :/
Liz
QUOTE(Gordo @ Sep 10 2009, 07:08 PM) *

I've read that they're going to start trials in certain areas early next year and they may be available by next summer. Of course, that can all change! The Solo demo is kind of lame and you'll basically just get to see the size & weight of it. There's nothing fun inside, unlike the demo OmniPod.
Dave_
QUOTE(telizas @ Sep 10 2009, 06:24 PM) *

I didn't note the date, but it was more than a month ago, for sure.
sarahspins
QUOTE(telizas @ Sep 10 2009, 08:24 PM) *

I requested mine the day their site went live and I've received nothing. I'm beginning to think I'm not getting one sad.gif
karen
QUOTE(Liz @ Sep 10 2009, 06:50 PM) *
I've read that they're going to start trials in certain areas early next year and they may be available by next summer. Of course, that can all change! The Solo demo is kind of lame and you'll basically just get to see the size & weight of it. There's nothing fun inside, unlike the demo OmniPod.

I noticed the same thing. I went to the site the day it went live and filled in my details. I received one in the mail last week, and then one came by FedEx a day or two later. Maybe they are not all together in the distribution/record keeping/shipping/receiving/notification departments yet. Let's hope the product is up to snuff smile.gif
telizas
LOL! I got mine today via Fed Ex. Nice to have the sample, but they didn't need to go to *that* expense! It looks very interesting, though I wish it came apart like the real ones. :/ I'll have to read the info tomorrow. I would love to take a pic of it next to an Omnipod.
Hattie
Mine came fed ex 2 days ago. I have to say I'm rather taken with it, at least the shape of it, since that's all the demo is, a blank. Because I tend to wear the Paradigm under my clothes (if I wear it out, I often snag the tube, more than once so hard that I yanked out my whole set) it actually seems like it would make less of a bulge than the Paradigm w/clip. Anyway I'm inspired enough to drag out my box full of clever devices (pouches and whatnot) with which to wear the pump and trying clipless. I always seemed to prefer the clip, but the added depth and bulk annoys me. But, I don't suppose they are developing an integrated CGM, so I'll stick with the Paradigm.
Dave_
QUOTE(telizas @ Sep 11 2009, 10:55 PM) *
LOL! I got mine today via Fed Ex. Nice to have the sample, but they didn't need to go to *that* expense! It looks very interesting, though I wish it came apart like the real ones. :/ I'll have to read the info tomorrow. I would love to take a pic of it next to an Omnipod.

One way or another, the customers always end up paying for the costs, be they legit or not. Price for goods and services is based on both direct and indirect expenses, so customers always foot the bill.
Gordo
So here's a side by side comparison of the Omni sample and the Solo sample...talk amongst yourselves.

Sorry...here it is.
Liz
They look to be about the same length/width but the Pod just seems bloated in comparison. I'm actually looking forward to the Solo being released so I can read reviews from people who are actually using it. I'm still not convinced a tubeless pump will ever be right for me but it's nice to have options.
Gregg C.
QUOTE(Dave_ @ Sep 10 2009, 04:03 PM) *
I used that link to get mine. Order it and it should come shortly.

Thanks Dave,
I ordered one.
Love the pump been pumping for 10 months. Always ready to try something that could be easier, and or better.
Love to hear about your experience with yours.

Gregg
Dave_
QUOTE(Gregg C. @ Oct 3 2009, 07:15 PM) *
Thanks Dave,
I ordered one.
Love the pump been pumping for 10 months. Always ready to try something that could be easier, and or better.
Love to hear about your experience with yours.

Gregg

Gregg, I'm on my 5th MM pump and can truly say that pumping has drastically improved my life. I did quite poorly on MDI, back before Lantus and Humalog became available. I didn't count carbs on MDI, and from 1978 to 1992 I didn't own a meter. I tested my blood during that time, but foolishly relied on visually-read strips, Chemstrip bG. Switching to pumping took care of my DP, got my A1c down to safe levels and freed me from the anxiety of wondering if I'd die in bed from insulin shock. I'd never give up pumping willingly. In fact, the though of being without one terrifies me!

Choosing to pump was one of the smartest things I've ever done. smile.gif
Gregg C.
QUOTE(Dave_ @ Oct 3 2009, 06:37 PM) *
Gregg, I'm on my 5th MM pump and can truly say that pumping has drastically improved my life. I did quite poorly on MDI, back before Lantus and Humalog became available. I didn't count carbs on MDI, and from 1978 to 1992 I didn't own a meter. I tested my blood during that time, but foolishly relied on visually-read strips, Chemstrip bG. Switching to pumping took care of my DP, got my A1c down to safe levels and freed me from the anxiety of wondering if I'd die in bed from insulin shock. I'd never give up pumping willingly. In fact, the though of being without one terrifies me!

Choosing to pump was one of the smartest things I've ever done. smile.gif

I wasn't doing very on MDI, But when my Doctor asked me if I was interested in the pump, I didn't want anything to do with it. Boy was I wrong! Scott from Minimed called and talked to me & convinced me to give it a try.
Had I known how wonderful it would be, and how much it would change my life....
Anyway I couldn't be happier with the whole thing. I can't imagine going back to MDI.
Life is good Celebrate 2.gif
Dave_
QUOTE(Gregg C. @ Oct 3 2009, 10:18 PM) *
I wasn't doing very on MDI, But when my Doctor asked me if I was interested in the pump, I didn't want anything to do with it. Boy was I wrong! Scott from Minimed called and talked to me & convinced me to give it a try.
Had I known how wonderful it would be, and how much it would change my life....
Anyway I couldn't be happier with the whole thing. I can't imagine going back to MDI.
Life is good Celebrate 2.gif

smile.gif Yup, pumping ROCKS!
Guilherme
This is a nice product. I like the fact that the "pod" has a re-usable part. Other companies are trying to do the same, such as Pancreum (www.pancreum.com). I hope their products come out soon.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.