Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Enlite Sensors
Insulin Pump Forums > Continuous Glucose Monitoring Systems > Paradigm/Veo RT System
Tim
I had an appointment with my Diabetologist last week. He mentioned that there had been some progress recently with the FDA regarding the Enlite Sensor. I anxiously searched hoping to find that the FDA had approved the Enlite Sensor for the US. We are not there yet - but this clinical trial anticipates study results to be completed in April of this year. Once that happens Minimed still has to ramp up production to prepare for the onslaught of all of us currently using the sensors along with many that would join us now that the sensors accuracy has improved dramatically(I personally have been happy with my results the last 2 years). They aslo have a six minute lag time instead of 15, and are considerably smaller and less painful. Here is a link to the latest clinical trial http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT...ex=Y&rank=8. For those of you in California and Washington they are still accepting patients for this trial.

anderfo
QUOTE(Tim @ Jan 31 2012, 11:32 PM) *
(...) They aslo have a six minute lag time instead of 15 (...)

I have used Enlite since June 2011, but this information was completely new to me!
The lag time for Enlite sensors seems to be identical to the old sensors (SofSensors), and it is approximately 20 minutes. The accuracy also seems to be the same.

I recently used a small batch of old SofSensors that I had left in my fridge, and I noticed that they are more painful to insert, but when it comes to accuracy and lag time I feel absolutely no difference.
JohnG
Thanks' Tim

QUOTE(anderfo @ Jan 31 2012, 05:22 PM) *
I have used Enlite since June 2011, but this information was completely new to me!
The lag time for Enlite sensors seems to be identical to the old sensors (SofSensors), and it is approximately 20 minutes. The accuracy also seems to be the same.

I recently used a small batch of old SofSensors that I had left in my fridge, and I noticed that they are more painful to insert, but when it comes to accuracy and lag time I feel absolutely no difference.

Could you share what your pump software # is ?
anderfo
QUOTE(JohnG @ Feb 1 2012, 12:27 AM) *
Could you share what your pump software # is ?

Paradigm Veo 754, VER 2.6A1.1.
Ali
I've also been using the Enlite since last year and don't find the 6 min time lag to be true. They are definitely more comfortable to insert. And overall, seem to be a little more accurate, especially around lows and highs, but not massively so.
Maureen H.
I also saw the trial would go through April. I suspect we will get the Enlite in July. I have hoped they would be more accurate than the soft sensors. I also hope we can wear them longer than 7 days. Some of my soft sensors go longer and some don't. The one I am wearing now is in week three but was not always on target. Now it seems to be so I will keep it in as long as it works.
tedm
QUOTE(Maureen H. @ Feb 9 2012, 06:53 PM) *
I also saw the trial would go through April. I suspect we will get the Enlite in July. I have hoped they would be more accurate than the soft sensors. I also hope we can wear them longer than 7 days. Some of my soft sensors go longer and some don't. The one I am wearing now is in week three but was not always on target. Now it seems to be so I will keep it in as long as it works.

You're giving the FDA a lot of credit for speed that I think they don't deserve. I predict it'll be at least a year from the end of the trial! blubbering.gif
gigem99
I have a question for those of you who are using the Enlite sensor. When I took a training class with my MM rep yesterday, she told me that the Enlite has extra tape that folds back over the transmitter, thus no additional taping is necessary.

Can someone please explain this a little better, or perhaps even post a picture? I went to the MM page, and can find no pictures. I'm very curious how this works.

Like everyone else, too, I would like to know when it will be available in the U.S. The MM lady was either extremely coy, or really didn't know - I suspect a bit of both.

Thnx,
Tom
anderfo
QUOTE(gigem99 @ Apr 5 2012, 11:25 PM) *
I have a question for those of you who are using the Enlite sensor. When I took a training class with my MM rep yesterday, she told me that the Enlite has extra tape that folds back over the transmitter, thus no additional taping is necessary.

Can someone please explain this a little better, or perhaps even post a picture? I went to the MM page, and can find no pictures. I'm very curious how this works.

Like everyone else, too, I would like to know when it will be available in the U.S. The MM lady was either extremely coy, or really didn't know - I suspect a bit of both.

Thnx,
Tom

Hi Tom,
I've attached three images showing how the Enlite is taped and at the same time showing the small problems I've had with this taping. However it is way better than the old method... And I sent these images directly to Medtronic, hoping that they can improve it even more.

[attachment=326:2012_03_...nic_0340.jpg]
[attachment=327:2012_03_...nic_0338.jpg]
[attachment=328:2012_03_...nic_0339.jpg]
Liz
I would definitely continue to use extra tape of the sensors if/when the Enlite sensors become available here. The back end of the transmitter lifting up is a problem. Also, I know I would snag the sides of the transmitter and would constantly rip the sensors out. I don't mind the current little piece of tape on the SofSensors, since I tape over the whole thing anyway. Even for sensors that I've worn for 3 weeks or more, that tape always stayed stuck firmly to my skin.
greg48
QUOTE(anderfo @ Apr 6 2012, 07:49 AM) *
Hi Tom,
I've attached three images showing how the Enlite is taped and at the same time showing the small problems I've had with this taping. However it is way better than the old method... And I sent these images directly to Medtronic, hoping that they can improve it even more.

[attachment=326:2012_03_...nic_0340.jpg]
[attachment=327:2012_03_...nic_0338.jpg]
[attachment=328:2012_03_...nic_0339.jpg]

Tom,

In my first ever box of 5 Enlite sensors, I received a pack of 10 Overtapes.
If this is normal, then a second one could be applied to each sensor to hold it down in the areas you have highlighted.
And yes, I share your concerns about the sensor not being held down securely enough and will be following my own advice.
gigem99
QUOTE(anderfo @ Apr 5 2012, 03:49 PM) *
Hi Tom,

Hi Anders,

Thanks a bunch for the pictures. I'm impressed with them, but I what else would I expect from a PhD kinda guy? bing.gif

I guess it does make sense. Did you use the two pieces of tape like greg48 described? It really doesn't matter - I'm guessing when they are available, I'll still put a big piece of Opsite Flexifix over the whole dang thing.

Thnx again!
Tom
Maureen H.
Your comments and pictures lead me to hope that the enlite will soon be available in the US. I know the trial was to be finished in April but I guess they have many forms to fill out before approval. I also read that the VEO was being tried here. I hope we don't have to wait for it to be approved before we get the enlite sensors. That could take another year.
Linda B
QUOTE(Maureen H. @ Apr 5 2012, 10:22 PM) *
Your comments and pictures lead me to hope that the enlite will soon be available in the US. I know the trial was to be finished in April but I guess they have many forms to fill out before approval. I also read that the VEO was being tried here. I hope we don't have to wait for it to be approved before we get the enlite sensors. That could take another year.

I agree - it would be awful to have to wait for the Veo. I just want the Enlite. I think eliminating the decision of what angle to insert the sensor at will help me achieve better consistency (although 90% of my sensors work well).

Linda B.
anderfo
QUOTE(gigem99 @ Apr 6 2012, 03:39 AM) *
Hi Anders,

Thanks a bunch for the pictures. I'm impressed with them, but I what else would I expect from a PhD kinda guy? bing.gif

I guess it does make sense. Did you use the two pieces of tape like greg48 described? It really doesn't matter - I'm guessing when they are available, I'll still put a big piece of Opsite Flexifix over the whole dang thing.

Thnx again!
Tom

You're welcome! Haha smile.gif
I've tried using two overtapes, on in the middle and one split in two (one half on each side). It helps a bit but I think it would be better if they just make a tape that fits immediately. So I told them to make one...and I hope they will.

To put a Flexifix over the whole thing reduces the comfort to the level of the old SofSensors. The Enlite solution is better for the skin; less humid and no more itching. They just need to optimize the overtape and I'll be satisfied.
Linda B
I just came from my endo's office.
She asked me if I was using the new sensors! When I said no, she said she didn't know if patients could get them, but SHE has them for use with the Professional 3 day use CGM! I asked if it was the ones with the built in inserter and she said yes. After I left I was so mad at myself for not asking her for a couple of them! But I'm not sure how big a supply she has.

Anyway, maybe we will see them soon after all. Please.gif

Linda B.
Tomster
Check out this blog form a lady who is participating in a study on Enlite. Interesting insights on what may be coming down the road, other rumors and what it is like to be in a study. Truth be told, I am jealous.
Liz
QUOTE(Tomster @ Apr 12 2012, 07:53 PM) *
Check out this blog form a lady who is participating in a study on Enlite. Interesting insights on what may be coming down the road, other rumors and what it is like to be in a study. Truth be told, I am jealous.

I looked at her earlier entry about signing up for the trial and it looks like the Bayer Contour Link meter is a version of the USB model, not the original Contour. That is so great and it makes me wish this would all get approved ASAP. A lot of people have complained that none of the Link meters (the original BD Link, NovaMax & UltraLink) have backlights. The Contour USB has a color screen which is even better, unless you're outside in bright sunlight.

Also, from her blog: "One bit of info that isn't confirmed, but intriguing is that Minimed intends to continue to use the Revel model, not the Veo, but upgrade the technology in the Revel. Not sure why, but I guess the study is for the technology, not the device itself. "

I know the Veo has the ability to stop basal delivery if the sensor readings drop too low and the user doesn't acknowledge the alarms. It also allows a sensor to run for 6 days continuously. Just looking at a Revel & Veo side by side I don't think anyone could tell the difference. So by "upgrade the technology" I hope it means they'll include those features but just continue calling it Revel rather than Veo. It would save a lot of confusion for users. Maybe this blogger thinks the physical pump is different, and that's why she wrote that?
Maureen H.
QUOTE(Linda B @ Apr 12 2012, 09:27 PM) *
I just came from my endo's office.
She asked me if I was using the new sensors! When I said no, she said she didn't know if patients could get them, but SHE has them for use with the Professional 3 day use CGM! I asked if it was the ones with the built in inserter and she said yes. After I left I was so mad at myself for not asking her for a couple of them! But I'm not sure how big a supply she has.

Anyway, maybe we will see them soon after all. Please.gif

Linda B.

Well if your doctor has them then others must have them also. The blogger mentioned that Medtronic will upgrade the Revel and not wait for the Veo to be approved. That sounds hopeful, but I thought the trial was to be over in April. Why is that person still testing this and she doesn't have the Enlite yet. the days when I don't use the sensor (or my sensor is not working properly and I try to squeeze out a few more days) my blood sugars go up like magic. It must be psychological. If I don't see the numbers I think I am doing well until I measure the BG and wow it is over 200. I hope we can extend the Enlite more than 7 days.
Liz
QUOTE(Maureen H. @ Apr 12 2012, 10:19 PM) *
the days when I don't use the sensor (or my sensor is not working properly and I try to squeeze out a few more days) my blood sugars go up like magic. It must be psychological. If I don't see the numbers I think I am doing well until I measure the BG and wow it is over 200.

This happens to me all the time. As soon as I'm on my own, I end up with highs. Even if I eat the same things I ate the previous day with a working sensor. For the past year I've been taking some sensor breaks. Sometimes just a day or two between them but I've gone as long as a week. When I finally get a 250+ number (which I almost never see when I'm using the sensors) I put a new one in.
Linda B
QUOTE(Tomster @ Apr 12 2012, 07:53 PM) *

I am jealous, too! I had a great relationship with a MM trainer, but then she moved out of my area. I think if she were still in touch I might have been able to get in on that trial (assuming I didn't have to be in a specific geography).

Linda B.
Alaska
I'm not even a week into my trail of the system so.........If you thought this would all be over in April I'm sad to report your incorrect. Looks like I will be using this thru the summer from what I have been told.
I'm just not use to checking my ketones so much. I mean everyday?? lol If there was a reason to (high BS) I could understand it but everyday with correct BS?
So far so good. The new pump I'm wearing isn't so different from my old Revel. Some minor differences but thats about it smile.gif
DotConnector
Howdy Folks! I am the referenced blogger in the Medtronic Minimed Enlite and Veo Trial right now. I've had the Enlite for five days, in fact, I expect to change the sensor in a few hours. Hard to tell how my first week went in terms of accuracy because I had the freakiest week of lows ever. Still bouncing around like a super ball, but I detail that in this post. But I can say that I absolutely LOVE the sensor. I love it for me and I love it for my kiddo, who will get it the second it comes out on the market! I got the old sensor on her once and that was traumatizing enough to make her scared of any sensor. I even bought the Dexcom, thinking she might be more amenable, but, no. Scared, and that's that.

Anyway, Please feel free to post questions or comments on my blog. I look forward to Monday, May 7 because I find out if I get the Veo Low Glucose Suspend Pump. It is randomized blind trial, so no telling. Stay tuned!

Wendy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.